Cornelius Korir was the sitting Bishop of Eldoret Catholic Diocese by the time of his demise.
He died later yesternight after complaining of chest pains at his home though he was scheduled to be flown to Nairobi for a medical checkup today. He will be remembered as one of the most vocal religious leader in the country.
He was also branded the Peace Bishop because of his struggle to spread peace between disagreeing parties e.g herder and rustlers and political parties
Here are some of the things you need to know about this man of the cloth
1. Cornelius Kipng’eno Arap Korir was born on 6th July 1950 in Segutiet Bomet District, Kericho Diocese
2. He schooled at the Mother of Apostles Minor Seminary in Eldoret before joining St Augustine Major Seminary in Bungoma in 1976, graduating with a diploma in philosophy and religious studies.
3. In 1982, Bishop Korir attained a diploma in theology from Nairobi’s St Thomas Aquinas Major Seminary
4. Graduated with a licentiate degree in sacred theology from St Patrick’s College in Maynooth, Ireland, in 1989.
5. He was ordained for priesthood on November 6, 1982 and was consecrated by Jozef Cardinal Tomko who was the Cardinal-Deacon of Gesù Buon Pastore alla Montagnola
6. Cornelius was appointed the Bishop of Eldoret on 2 Apr 1990
7. He was then ordained as the Bishop of Eldoret on 2 Jun 1990 and was consecrated by Maurice Michael Cardinal Otunga the then Archbishop of Nairobi and Cardinal and Archbishop John Njenga of Mombasa.
8. He has been the Bishop for Eldoret Diocese for 27 years…from 1990.
9. He has been a priest for 34 years.
10. Cornelius Korir died aged 67 years and is one of the longest serving Bishop in Kenya.