This article focuses on the nutritional benefits of pilipili hoho. Pilipili hoho is also known as capsicum or bell pepper. The common types here in Kenya are red, yellow and green bell peppers or pilipili hoho. They can be used as food spices, additives or as vegetables.
Here are the nutritional benefits of pilipili hoho.
1. Pilipili hoho is rich in folate, an important component for pregnant women as it helps in the healthy development of the foetus.
2. Contains carotenoids that keep eyes healthy and also protect them from age-related diseases.
3. Pilipili hoho is rich in Vitamin C that boosts the immune system and helps/ increases iron absorption.
4. Helps in weight loss for those who are struggling with weight-related issues. Pilipili hoho has no calories or fat. It increases metabolism in the body and assists in fat burning.
5. They contain bioactive compounds with antioxidants that prevent chronic diseases such as cancer and repair damaged tissues in the body. The antioxidants prevent certain types of cancer such as pancreatic, prostate, bladder, gastric and cervical cancer.
6. They contain capsain that prevents the transmission of pain signals to the brain. This is by deadening the sensory nerves in particularly affected areas.
7. Pilipili hoho is rich in magnesium and vitamin B6, important components that reduce hypertension, bloating and anxiety.
8. They contain flavonoids that improve cardiovascular health, prevent heart-related diseases and complications.
9. Pilipili hoho contains tannins which aid in treating microbial and gastrointestinal disorders such as dysentery and diarrhoea.
10. They are rich in antioxidants that protect the skin from damage and promote healthy skin.
11. Bio-active components of pilipili hoho have anti-oxidant effects that repair DNA damages.
12. Green capsicums or pilipili hoho contain hypoglycaemic properties that in some way prevent certain types of diabetes such as II diabetes.
13. Pilipili hoho is an important source of dietary fiber that helps in digestion and prevents constipation.