On this post, we are going to look at all the requirements one must meet before applying for the new e-passport in Kenya as of 2019. The main difference between the current ordinary passport and the ePassport is the additional chip. The current passport doesn’t have a chip while the new ePassport has a chip which stores the passport holder’s info. The chip facilitates faster clearance at ports of entry and exit.
This is how the new Kenyan e-passport looks like.
2. Diplomatic Passport
The e-passport logo which is appearing on the cover of the ePassport is the international symbol for an electronic passport.
Requirements For Kenyan e-Passport
1. An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form and three receipts.
2.Original birth certificate and photocopy.
3.Original National ID Card & copy.
4.Three Current passport size photos.
5.Recommender’s ID Card copy.
A Recommender can be either of the following
- Lawyers –
- Religious leaders
- Civil servant
But NOT a relative.
6.Consent letter for minors.
7.Old passport for replacement.
8. Parents National ID cards and copy.
Kenyan e-Passport Application steps
1.Register on www.ecitizen.go.ke
2. Go to immigration.ecitizen.go.ke and or Department of immigration services and click on the passport application form.
3. Read the instructions carefully then fill the application form.
4. Select the mode of payment and pay for the passport fees.
5. Download and print the application form and three application receipts.
6. Submit the application form in person to the Immigration offices for Bio-metrics. ( Nyayo house, Mombasa & Kisumu.)
Kenyan e-Passport Fees 2019
32 Pages Ordinary A Series
48 pages Ordinary B Series
64 Pages Ordinary C Series
East African Passport
Diplomatic passport 48 pages
- Current passport holders that are valid will only be in use till August 2019. All passport holders are required to change to the new epassport by then.
- Those with Valid visas in the old passports will still remain valid even after replacement.
- You can use the new e-Passport even if you are travelling outside East Africa; It’s an International Passport.
For questions, call :
- Nairobi Office: +254 772 246 669
- Mombasa Office: +254 708 206 206
You can alternatively contact them via Twitter @ImmigrationDept for swift responses.