This article highlights the functions of the Assets Recovery Agency in Kenya. It is a semi-autonomous body under the Office of the Attorney General that was established under section 53 of the Proceeds of Crime and Anti-Money Laundering Act 2009 (POCAMLA). It has a mandate of identifying, tracing, freezing, seizing and recovering proceeds of crime.
Functions Of Asset Recovery Agency In Kenya
1. The agency identifies and investigates the proceeds of crime.
2. It traces proceeds of crime and money laundering.
3. It freezes assets suspected to be proceeds of crimes held by persons under investigation or prosecution.
4. It administers the criminal assets recovery fund. The Criminal Assets Recovery Fund is responsible for the overall management of recovered assets.
5. Seizure and recovery of proceeds of crime.
6. It manages all preserved and recovered assets through the assets management department.
Assets Recovery Agency Contacts
Head Office: 22nd Floor, UAP Old Mutual Towers, Upper Hill, Nairobi.
Phone: 0768 024 337, +254 (0) 202 021 009