This article focuses on functions of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission. (IEBC). IEBC is an independent and credible electoral management body that was established in 2011 under Article 88(1) of the new constitution of Kenya.
IEBC’s mission is to conduct transparent, efficient and impartial elections and undertake boundary delimitation for equitable representation and sustainable democracy.
The commission has a professional secretariat that manages its day to day running. It has 9 directorates and 17 departments. Each directorate is headed by a director while each department has a manager.
The secretariat comprises of Commission Secretary/Chief Executive Officer, 2 Deputy Commission Secretaries, 9 Directors, 24 Managers, 47 County Election Managers, 290 Constituency Election Coordinators. The commission has constituency offices located in all the counties in Kenya.
Functions Of IEBC
IEBC is responsible for conducting or supervising referenda and elections to any elective body or office established by the constitution and any other elections as prescribed by an Act of Parliament.
The commission serves other functions such as;
- Continuous registration of voters and revision of the voter’s role.
- Inspection of voters role for names of voters and corrections.
- Delimitation of constituencies and wards.
- Regulation of political parties and the process of nomination of candidates for elections.
- Settlement of electoral disputes including disputes relating to or arising from nominations but excluding election petitions and disputes subsequent to the declaration of election results.
- Registration of candidates for elections.
- Provision of voter education to Kenyan citizens.
- Facilitation of the observation, monitoring and evaluation of elections.
- To regulate the amount of money that may be spent by or on behalf of a candidate or party in respect of any election.
- Develop a code of conduct for candidates and parties contesting elections.
- Monitoring of compliance with legislation on nomination of candidates by parties.
Head Office: University Way, Anniversary Towers, 6th Floor, Nairobi.
Tel: 020 287 7000.
Email: [email protected]