This article focuses on the functions of KALRO in Kenya. The Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Organization (KALRO) was established through the Kenya Agricultural and Livestock Research Act of 2013. It is headquartered in Loresho, along Kaptagat Road, off Waiyaki Way, Nairobi.
KALRO was formed through the merger of the Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (KARI), Coffee Research Foundation (CRF), Tea Research Foundation of Kenya (TRF) and Kenya Sugar Research Foundation (KESREF). This merger aimed to ensure that through collaborative efforts, agricultural and livestock research contributes to accelerated growth of the economy towards Vision 2030.
KALRO’s mandate is to conduct agricultural and livestock research of strategic national importance. It is also mandated to produce improved technologies, information, knowledge and approaches to support the agricultural and livestock sector.
Functions Of KALRO In Kenya
1. It formulates policy and makes policy recommendations to the cabinet secretary on agricultural research.
2. It coordinates agricultural research in Kenya in line with the national policy on agriculture.
3. It determines and advises the Government on the resource requirements for agricultural research in Kenya both at the National and County level.
4. It regulates, monitors and ensures that all agricultural research undertaken by research institutes and other institutions or persons undertaking agricultural research is consistent with the national priorities specified in the relevant policy documents.
5. It establishes and exercises control over the research institutes, committees and research centres.
6. It formulates and approves medium and long term research plans, strategies and budgets of research institutes, committees and organizations.
7. It provides grants to research institutes and persons desirous of carrying out research and training programmes that are consistent with the national research priorities and plans of KALRO.
8. It supports and promotes training and capacity building in relation to agricultural research.
9. It promotes the dissemination and application of research findings in the field of agriculture and the establishment of a Science Park.
10. It liaises with and ensure the coordination of institutions, agencies and persons involved in agricultural research.
11. It is responsible for the establishment of platforms for the purposes of sharing research information, advancing
research and transfer of technology and dissemination of information relating to advancements made in agricultural research.
12. It ensures the continuance of performance improvement in the field of agricultural research.
Phone: +254722206986, +254722206988, +254730707000