KEBS was established in 1974 as the premier government agency for the provision of Standards, Metrology and Conformity Assessment services (SMCA). KEBS’ vision is to be a global leader in standards-based solutions that deliver quality and confidence.
Here is a list of functions of KEBS, as mandated by the Standards Act, Chapter 496 of the laws of Kenya.
1. To make arrangements and provide facilities for the testing and calibration of precision instruments, gauges and scientific apparatus for the determination of their degree of accuracy by comparison with standards approved by the Minister on the recommendation of the council, and for the issue of certificates in regard.
2. Promotion of standardization in industry and commerce.
3. To provide for co-operation with the government or the representatives of any industry or any local authority or other public body or any other person, to secure the adoption and practical application of standards.
4. To provide for the testing at the request of the Minister and on behalf of the government, locally imported manufactured and imported commodities to determine whether such commodities comply with the provisions of this Act or any other law dealing with standards of quality or description.
5. To make arrangements or provide facilities for the examination and testing of commodities and any other material or substance from or with which and how they may be manufactured, produced, processed or treated.
6. To control the use of standardization marks and distinctive marks.
7. To prepare, frame, modify or amend specifications and codes of practice.
8. To encourage and undertake educational work in connection with standardization.
9. Assist the government or any local authority, public body or any person in the preparation and framing of any specifications or codes of practice.