This article highlights the functions of Kenya Export Promotion and Branding Agency (BrandKE). It is a state corporation under the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Cooperatives that was established in 2019 after the merger of the Export Promotion Council and Brand Kenya Board. Its head office is located along University Way at Anniversary Towers, 1st and 16th Floor.
BrandKE’s main role is to promote Kenya’s brand and spur the country’s exports globally, contributing to the increase in exports by 25% annually as per the National Exports Development and Promotion Strategy. This is in line with the actualization of Vision 2030 and the Big Four Agenda. Below are the other functions of the agency.
Functions of Kenya Export Promotion and Branding Agency
1. It advocates, coordinates, harmonizes and implements export promotion and Nation branding initiatives and policies to promote Kenyan goods and services in export markets.
2. It collects, collates, stores, analyses and disseminates trade information to support enterprise competitiveness. This information is obtained from credible sources such as the International Trade Centre (ITC), World Trade Organization (WTO), trade promotion organizations including the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), Centre for the Promotion of Imports from Developing Countries (CBI), among others.
3. It provides nation branding guidelines for stakeholders’ initiatives including Kenya missions abroad.
4. The Agency conducts research and surveys in prioritized markets to identify export opportunities. The findings from the research are crucial in drawing appropriate export promotion strategies to be employed in the target markets.
5. It facilitates the development and diversification of Kenya’s export trade through informed market research and surveys findings, trade missions, contact promotion programmes, buyer/ seller meetings, trade fairs and exhibitions and inward buying missions. For instance, every year, the agency develops the Kenya Export Market Development Programme (KEMDP), which lists prioritised promotional events to guide its export market development activities.
6. It formulates and implements strategies for an improved balance of trade, foreign exchange earnings and retention.
7. It offers advice to Kenyan exporters including technology upgrading, quality and design improvement, standards and product development, and innovation to help them meet international standards.
8. It co-ordinates Kenya’s participation in trade promotion events including trade fairs and buyer-seller meets.
9. It provides market intelligence through research, analysis and monitoring of trends and opportunities in international markets that Kenyan exporters can take advantage of to increase or diversify exports. The agency helps exporters with the following;
- Country reports which give opportunities in specific countries
- Market Trends
- Market Research reports
- Opportunities for export of services
10. It ensures a harmonised application of the national mark of identity for Kenyan goods and services.
11. The agency provides cooperation to the export inspection agencies on quality control and pre-shipment inspection of export products to ensure observance of international standards and specifications.
Kenya Export Promotion and Branding Agency ( BrandKE) Contacts
Head Office: 1st and 16th Floor Anniversary Towers, University Way
Phone: +254 722 205 875, +254 734 228 534