This article will list the functions of the Kenya Film Classification Board (KFCB). It is a state-owned corporation under the Ministry of Information, Communications and Technology that was established in September 1930 with information regulatory role. The Board is mandated to regulate the creation, broadcast, possession, distribution and exhibition of films in the country. This helps to promote national values and morality as enshrined in Article 10 of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010.
KFCB’s headquarters are located on the 14th floor of Uchumi House along Aga Khan Walk in Nairobi.
Functions of Kenya Film Classification Board
1. It ensures that all films and posters in the country are exhibited and classified before being displayed, exhibited, hired, sold or broadcasted to the public by video shows, cinema theatres, video shows or broadcast houses.
2. It coordinates all issues related to film classification and exhibition in the country.
3. It monitors the distribution of films to ensure that no film or class of film is distributed exhibited or broadcasted either publicly or privately unless the board has examined it and issued a certificate of approval.
4. It monitors broadcast of films and programs to ensure content intended for adult audience is not broadcasted within the country’s watershed period.
5. It issues certificates and licenses to distributors and exhibitors of films.
6. It prescribes a guideline to be used in the examination and classification of films.
7. It gives consumer advice with due regard to the protection of women and children against sexual exploitation in cinematography.
8. It formulates necessary policy guidelines for the Government on film exhibition in the country.
9. It inspects and licenses cinema shows, video theatres and video libraries in the country.
10. It ensures that periodical classification catalogues are issued to premises dealing in videos.
11. It registers and licenses all film agencies in the country.
12. It examines all scripts before they are made into a full film, feature story, documentary or advert.
13. It ensures that any infringement in the film industry is prosecuted.
Kenya Film Classification Board (KFCB) Contacts
Location: Uchumi House, Aga Khan Walk, Nairobi
Phone: 0711 222 204, 020 22 50600