In this post, we will have a look at the functions of the Kenya Tourism Fund. This is a government corporation that was established under the Tourism Act of 2011. It’s mandated to mobilize resources to finance the development of a sustainable tourism industry in Kenya. Its head office is located along Valley Road at the Tourism Fund Building.
Kenya Tourism Fund succeeded the Catering and Tourism Development Levy Trustees which had been operation since 1972.
Functions of Kenya Tourism Fund
1. It collects the tourism levy imposed under the Tourism Act of 2011. The levy is charged at the rate of 2% on the gross sales derived from the sale of accommodation, food, drinks, and all other services offered in scheduled establishments.e hotels and restaurants.
2. Establishes, equips, and controls tourism and hospitality training institutions upon approval by the cabinet secretary of Tourism.
3. Formulates sound policies for the regulation and management of the Tourism Fund.
4. Solicits for funds and other assistance to promote the object for which the Fund was established.
5. Determines the amounts of money payable for the purposes of the Tourism Fund and formulate the conditions for disbursement.
6. Invests any surplus funds not immediately required in securities approved by the Treasury, for the purposes of realizing the objects and purpose for which the Fund was established.
7. Establishes a tourism training revolving fund.
8. It keeps and maintains audited accounts of the Fund and publish the accounts in the manner approved by the Treasury.
9. Receives any gifts, donations, grants, or endowments made to the Fund, and to make legitimate disbursements.
10. It keeps all proper books and records of account of the income, expenditure, assets, and liabilities of the Fund.
Kenya Tourism Fund Contacts
Office Location: 5th Fl, Tourism Fund Building, Valley Rd.
Phone: +254 728 337 499
Email: [email protected]