These are the functions of the director of public prosecutions according to the 2010 constitution of Kenya. Noordin Mohamed Haji is the current Director of Public Prosecution in Kenya, he was nominated by President Uhuru Kenyatta on 13th March 2018 and resumed his job on 28th March after being vetted by the parliament.
The main functions of the Director of Public Prosecutions include prosecution of those charged by the police and other investigative agencies with criminal offenses while upholding, protecting and promoting human and constitutional rights.
Below are other functions of the Director of Public Prosecutions in Kenya.
1. Instituting and undertaking criminal proceedings against any person before any court of law except the court-martial
2. Taking over and continuing with any criminal proceedings commenced in any court by any person or authority with the permission of the person or authority.
3. Discontinuing at any stage before judgment is delivered of any criminal proceedings with the permission of the court.
4. Directing the Inspector General of the National Police Service to investigate any information or allegation of criminal conduct.
5. Undertake the public prosecution of cases forwarded by all investigation agencies including the Police, Ethics and Anti-corruption Commission, Criminal Investigations Department (CID), Banking Fraud Investigations Units (BFIU), and cases taken over from private prosecutors.
6. Represent the State in all criminal cases, criminal applications and appeals.
7. Advice Government Ministries, Departments and State Corporations on matters pertaining to the application of criminal law.
8. Expound and disseminate the National Prosecution Policy (NPP) and the Code of Conduct for Prosecutors.
9. Monitor the training, appointment, and gazettement of Public Prosecutors in Statutory Corporations.
10. Address parliamentary questions relating to the administration of criminal justice.
11. Address complaints raised by members of the public, watchdog bodies and other institutions
12. Undertake other administrative roles relating to the efficient and effective administration of criminal law in the country.
13. Ensure due regard to the public interest, the interest of the administration of justice and the prevention and avoidance of abuse of legal process.
Director of Public Prosecutions in Kenya Contacts
NSSF Building, Block A 19th Floor.
P.O. Box 30701-00100.
Tel: +254 2732090/2732240
Fax: +254 2 2243524/2251808