This article looks at the functions of the Water Sector Trust Fund. It is a state corporation under the Ministry of Water, Sanitation and Irrigation. Water Fund was established under the Water Act of 2016 as a successor institution of the Water Services Trust Fund.
The Water Sector Trust Fund is mandated to assist in financing water, sanitation and water resources management projects in underserved and marginalized rural and urban areas.
Functions Of The Water Sector Trust Fund
1. Its principal function is to provide conditional and unconditional grants to counties to assist in financing the development and management of water services in marginalized areas.
2. It finances community-level initiatives for the sustainable management of water resources
3. It finances the development of water services in rural areas considered not to be commercially viable for the provision of water services by licensees.
4. The Fund aids in developing water services in underserved poor urban areas.
5. It funds research activities in water resources management, water services, sewerage and sanitation.
The Water Sector Trust Fund (Water Fund) Contacts
Head Office: 1st Floor, CIC Plaza, Mara Road, Upper Hill, Nairobi
Phone: 020 2729017