This article highlights the functions of the Tourism Regulatory Authority in Kenya. Tourism Regulatory Authority (TRA) is a corporate body established under section 4 of the Tourism Act No.28 of 2011. It is one of the parastatals under the Ministry of Tourism and Wildlife.
TRA is mandated to regulate the tourism sector in Kenya. This is through developing regulations, standards and guidelines that are necessary to ensure an all-round quality service delivery in the tourism sector.
The Authority’s mission is to develop and promote a conducive regulatory environment for a dynamic sustainable tourism sector.
Functions Of The Tourism Regulatory Authority
1. Regulate tourism activities and services countrywide in accordance with the national tourism strategy.
2. Formulate guidelines and prescribe measures for sustainable tourism throughout the country.
3. Register, license and grade all sustainable tourism and tourist-related activities and services including cottages and private residences engaged in guest house services.
4. Develop and regulate, in consultation with the Ministry for the time being responsible for matters relating to education, tourism and hospitality curriculum, examination and certification.
5. Develop and implement, in consultation with relevant stakeholders, criteria for standardization and classification of tourism facilities and services.
6. Develop and implement a code of practice for the tourism sector.
7. Ensure the development and implementation of high quality tourism sector.
8. Monitor and assess tourist activities and services to enhance continuous improvement and adherence to sound principles and practices of sustainable tourism.
9. To undertake annually, an assessment and audit of tourism activities and services, measures and initiatives at national level, prepare and publish an annual national tourism sector status report, in consultation with the Cabinet Secretary and relevant lead agencies.
10. Perform any other functions that are ancillary to the object and purpose for which the Authority is established.
Tourism Regulatory Authority Contacts
1. Tourism Regulatory Authority Head office
Location: Utalii House, 5th Floor, Utalii Lane, Off Uhuru Highway.
Address: P.O. Box 25357-00100, Nairobi
Contact: 0701 444 777
2. Tourism Regulatory Authority Mombasa office
Location: Bima Towers, 8th Floor
Contact: +254 041-2315959
3. Tourism Regulatory Authority Nakuru office
Location: Generations House, 1st Floor
4. Tourism Regulatory Authority Nyeri office
Location: Sohan Plaza, 3rd Floor
5. Tourism Regulatory Authority Malindi office
Location: Malindi Complex, 1st Floor
6. Tourism Regulatory Authority Kisumu office
Location: Huduma Centre, 10th Floor, Wing C