This is a guide on how to apply for a USA Green Card lottery in Kenya. A Green Card permits immigrants to permanently live and even work in the United States Of America. Green card holders are known as permanent residents. Many Kenyans know how hard it is to get a Green Card, the ‘easiest’ way to get it, in this case, is by participating in the Green Card Lottery which has the chance of getting the Green Card between 1:20 and 1:25.
Here are some Green Card categories one must be eligible under to apply.
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to apply for a Green Card through the famous Diversity Visa Program
How To Apply For A Green Card Through Diversity Program In Kenya
- Be from a country which is not excluded from participating in the Green Card Lottery
- Prove that you have at least a US high school diploma or an equivalent level of education. You should have completed at least 12 years of formal primary and secondary schooling.
- Alternatively, you can prove at least two years of work experience within the past five years in a qualified profession. Qualified professions are those that require at least two years of training.
- No age limit but you need to be above 16 years to be eligible to satisfy that you have completed at least 12 years of formal primary and secondary schooling.
There is a limited period of time during which you can register for the Diversity Immigrant Visa (DV) Program during each fiscal year, for example, for Fiscal Year 2025, up to 55,000 Diversity Visas (DVs) will be available. The entry submission period for DV-2025 is from 12:00PM EDT (GMT -4) on October 4, 2023 to 12:00PM EST (GMT -5) on November 7, 2023. The entry form will only be available for submission during this period only. Application link.
All you need to have an internet connection or go to a cyber, have a passport-size photo with you which meets the photo requirements of the program, your birth certificate or ID and submit your entry electronically on the Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery website.
Note that multiple entries and submitting photos which don’t meet the requirements will lead to automatic disqualification of the applicant.
You can later do an Entrant Status Check later on specified dates on the Diversity Visa Lottery website to know if you qualified or if you didn’t.
If you can’t do all this on your own, then ask a friend to help or just visit the nearest cyber, they usually do it quickly and cheaply for you.
- After you have completed the steps on the Diversity Visa Process on usvisas.state.gov, you may then receive an email from the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) to let you know that an interview has been scheduled for you, that’s if your application was successful.
- The e-mail will instruct you to log into the Entrant Status Check on the Electronic Diversity Visa (E-DV) website, using your DV entry confirmation number, to view the date, time and location of your interview.
- At the end of your immigrant visa interview, the consular officer will inform you whether your visa application is approved or denied.
- Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the visa applicant’s interview. If your Visa application happens to fall in this place, then you can check the status of your visa application on ceac.state.gov
- If your visa has been denied, you may find useful information on Ineligibilities and Waivers on usvisas.state.gov.
- If your visa has been approved, you will be informed how and when your passport and visa will be returned to you.
- At this point, you will be required to pay USCIS Immigrant Fee of $220.
It is worth noting that if you want to increase your chances of winning the lottery, both you, your spouse and even children who are eligible should apply. This gives you a higher chance of winning or either of your family members winning because if any of them wins, then they can bring you to the USA too after following the due legal process.
The DV-2025 Diversity Visa program registration period will be open between October 5th – November 7th 2023. The lottery is free for everyone who is eligible to enter so you should not pay anything to apply for the program save for maybe service charges at a cyber.
In case you have any more questions or concerns about the application process, entry status or anything to do with immigrant visas, then submit your inquiries through mail at
Alternatively, you can reach the US embassy in Kenya through their immigration call centre at
+254 20 764 0121/+254 20 500 0006
If you have been requested to send additional documents to the Embassy, You may do so via DHL at aisusvisa-info.com and make sure that all the documents marked on the yellow sheet are sent.
DNA queries can be submitted through NairobiDNA@state.gov