This article focuses on Harambee Sacco membership eligibility and requirements. Harambee Sacco was formed and officially registered as a society in 1970.
The Sacco was formed by employees of the Office of the President who came together and established a merry-go-round. The objective was to create a vehicle to promote a savings culture among themselves and to lend out short-term loans for personal growth and development.
With over 37.01 billion in assets, Harambee Sacco is feted among the largest deposit-taking Saccos in Kenya.
Harambee Sacco Membership Eligibility
The Sacco primarily drew its members from government institutions. Currently, Kenyan citizens who fit within the various determined categories are eligible to join the Sacco.
1. Members under check-off arrangement
- Consists of employees working for the government and/ or other reputable institutions or employees of Harambee Sacco and its subsidiaries.
2. Members under non check off arrangement
- Wafanisi- consists of existing members who join the society while employed and on retirement wish to continue being members.
- Individuals in formal employment with regular income.
- Diaspora members (with regular legal income).
- Spouses of members (as long as they are employed or in business with regular income).
- Children of members.
3. Groups (chamas), registered CBOs and NGOs
- The groups, CBOs and NGOs shall be admitted into membership in accordance with the by-laws and the membership policy provided.
5. Sole proprietorship
- Consists of registered businesses owned by individuals.
- Consists of registered business entities owned by more than one person and governed by a partnership deed.
- Consists of both companies limited by shares and companies limited by guarantee.
Harambee Sacco Membership Requirements
- Fill the membership application form which is available on the Sacco’s website or can be obtained from any of its FOSA branches.
- Attach copies of National ID, passport photo and KRA PIN.
- The filled membership form should be delivered to the Sacco through post office, physical delivery, customer service points, business development executives or through email.
- Membership fee of Kshs 1,000.
- Every applicant for membership must also be a member of the sink fund or loan protection program and must therefore be willing to pay Kshs 300 per month.
- Every member shall be required to pay the prescribed share capital of Kshs 30,000, which can be paid in installments.
- A member shall be issued a copy of the by-laws upon request after paying the prescribed fees.
- The member shall have access to a digital share certificate upon attainment of the requisite shares.
Harambee Sacco Products
- Development loan.
- Emergency loan.
- School fees loan.
- Inuka loan.
- Bima advance.
- Shamba loan.
- Karibu loan.
- Jisaidie top up loan.
- Jisaidie top up loan.
- Shares boost advance.
- Salary advance.
- Salary in advance.
- Jisort advance.
- Finje chapchap.
Harambee Sacco Contacts
Head Office: Harambee Plaza, Haile Selassie Avenue, Nairobi.
Contacts: 0709 943 000/ 0709 943 100.