This is a step by step guide on how to activate a suspended KRA PIN. You are required to have a KRA PIN if you are employed, in business, have rental income or would wish to apply for a HELB loan.
Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) may suspend or deactivate PINs based on VAT related compliance issues. However, it still provides room for one to reactivate his/her PIN.The Authority may deactivate or suspend PINS due to the following reasons.
- Failing to file VAT returns yet you have a VAT obligation.
- Trading with your KRA PIN but it is not updated on iTax.
- If you have been declared as a supplier by a VAT registered taxpayer, but you are not registered for VAT obligation. Any person, company or partnership that has supplied or expects to supply taxable goods worth Kshs 5,000,000 and above within 12 months must register for VAT.
How To Activate Suspended KRA PIN
You can follow the steps below to activate a suspended KRA PIN.
1. Use KRA PIN checker to check the status of your PIN. It will indicate whether your PIN is valid or suspended. Go to the website via this link http://kra.go.ke/index.php/pin-checker.
2. Get the reason for deactivation of your PIN by doing the following:
- Visit the nearest KRA service centre or
- Call KRA contact centre on +254 020 4999 999 or +254 0711 099 999.
- Log in to the KRA website, download and complete the PIN reactivation request form and email the completed form to [email protected] the form
- The reason for PIN deactivation will be communicated through the email address provided by the taxpayer.
3. The taxpayer should address all the non compliance issues identified and communicated in the email appropriately or as advised at the station. Remember that you have a right to discuss this decision and also to apply for waiver of penalties and interest. This should be supported by relevant justification.