This is a simple guide on how to apply for a birth certificate in Kenya as of 2018. A Birth Certificate is the most important identity document that makes it possible for anyone in possession of it to benefit from a gamut of services offered by the Kenyan Government to its citizens. It becomes necessary to obtain a Birth Certificate because it serves to establish the date and fact of one’s birth for a whole range of purposes, like registration of final national exams such as KCPE and KCSE , admission to schools , access to some Government Services, claiming the right to marry at the legally permissible age, settlement of inheritance and property rights, and obtaining Government-issued identity documents like Visas and passports.
What You Need to have before you apply for a Birth Certificate in Kenya
1. The original and a copy of the birth notification slip – The pink slip you get from the hospital where the child was delivered. It must bear a doctor’s signature and the midwife who were present when the child was born.
2. A copy of the father’s ID
3. A copy of the Mothers ID
If the parents are dead one should present a copy of the death certificate.
4. Copy of a Kenyan national identification card if you are above 18 years old.
5. A fee of Ksh 50 when applying, Ksh 90 if the name of the parent needs to be corrected, Ksh 130 if you need to correct both the names of the parent and the name of the child. Ksh 150 for late registration.
1. Visit your district registrar of births and deaths Office and get a form to fill the names of your child as they appear in the birth notification slip.
2. Attach the copy of birth notification slip and copies of IDS of parents. ( If the parents are dead one should present a copy of the death certificate)
3. After filling out the forms and attaching the relevant documents, you will be sent to the cashier to make payments ( Ksh 50 )
4. You will get a receipt which you will use to collect the birth certificate after two weeks.
I know getting a birth certificate can be a tedious process, I hope this article will be of much help.