A Single business permit is required for the smooth operation of any business in Nairobi and other towns in Kenya. The permit is important in ensuring that a business complies with the established rules for that specific type of a business. The procedure for obtaining a business permit is the same but the cost might vary depending on the size, type, and location of the business.
Requirements to apply for single a single business permit
In order for you to obtain a business permit, the business must be registered and should have a business identification number, Copy of certificate of incorporation, a business name, National ID/Asylum Pass/ Passport No/ Alien ID and a physical address.
Instructions on how to get a single business permit
1. If you intend to obtain a new business permit, you should go to the ward office and obtain a BR-1 form.
2. Fill the form and give it back to the ward licensing officer who pays your business a visit within a day to verify it. In case of a renewal, a copy of previous year’s SBP shall be attached.
3. The information obtained by the inspection team will determine the fees to charge for the permit. The BR-1 form is then stamped and you are referred to the main office, City Hall (for businesses in Nairobi).
4. At the main office, the form is approved and the data entered in the single business permits database.
5. This is followed by the generation of an invoice bill and payment is made to the cash office.
6. The business permit is signed and you are advised to collect it from the dispatch office.
Application fee – Kshs. 200
Large trader (21-50 employees) – KShs. 20,000
Medium Trader (5-20 employees) – Kshs. 10,000
- The business permit is valid for 1 year
In case you have any questions and inquiries, you can call the numbers below for assistance in Nairobi county.
I hope this helps!