This is a step by step guide on how to apply for a smart driving licence in Kenya as of 2020. The old red book-like licence will soon be obsolete and you will be required to have an electronic licence.
The issuance of manual driving licenses will be suspended by July 1, 2020, with every driver expected to have the new license by January 2021. Instant fines will be implemented thereafter. The smart license comes fitted with a secure computer chip that will store a driver’s data; blood group, biometrics, national ID number, and KRA PIN. Traffic offences will also be recorded in the smart license.
The smart driving license costs Ksh 3,050.
Here is a look at how to apply for the smart driving licence in Kenya.
1. Register on TIMS
Create an account on NTSA TIMS platform, if you have an account, all you have to do is log in.
- If it is your first time on the NTSA TIMS portal, then click on register.
- Then click on the Individuals option.
- Enter your ID Serial Number. Be careful not to input your ID Number.
- If you have replaced your ID within the last two years you will have to use your old ID Card’s serial number. (In case the system rejects any of your details you are advised to visit NTSA offices)
- Enter your Mother’s maiden name.
- Add your KRA PIN Number.
- Confirm your details
2. Once you have created an account with TIMS, go back to tims.ntsa.go.ke and sign in.
- After signing in, you will be given several options, select ‘Driving License’.
- This page will have all the details of the current driving license that you are holding.
- On the left-hand side of the page, select the option ‘Apply for smart DL.’
3. The ‘Apply for smart DL’ page houses your current Driving licence details.
- Verify on this page that all the information, especially about the car class, is correct then click next.
On the next page, you will be asked to make the payment of Ksh3050, and you will be redirected to a payment page with several payment options including Mpesa, Airtel Money, Debit/Credit/Prepaid card, EazzyPay and MobiKash.
5. Book an appointment with NTSA
- After making the payment successfully, you will be required to book an appointment with NTSA.
- At the appointment, NTSA will take your photo, fingerprints, and any other required details.
Wait for your smart driving licence to be ready for pickup in 5 working days or more.
Phone : 0709 932 300 (safaricom), 020 6632 300 (Telkom)
Email : [email protected]