This is a guide on how to apply for a temporary travel permit in Kenya. A temporary travel permit allows one to only travel within East African countries such as Uganda, Tanzania, South Sudan, Rwanda and Burundi.
Technological advancement has made it easier to apply for a temporary travel permit, as the process can be completed within one hour provided one has the necessary documents. The whole process is done online, via the e-citizen platform. One no longer needs to spend hours waiting to be served at the immigration offices.
The temporary travel permit is valid for 30 days from the date of issue. It costs Kshs. 350.
How To Apply For A Temporary Travel Permit In Kenya
1. Go to www.ecitizen.go.ke.
2. Register an account/ Click on create an account.
3. Login and select Department of Immigration Service.
4. Select submit application.
5. Select passports and temporary permits.
6. Select temporary permit application.
7. Read the instructions carefully and fill in the application form. Some of the details required include;
- Date of birth
- Identification Number/ Birth certificate number (for children)
- Reason for travel, for example, business, education, official, work-related, leisure, medical… etc.
- Contact details/phone number
- Country of destination
- Postal address
- Physical address
- Next of kin details such as name, relationship and phone number
- Parents details, if the application is for children.
8. Pay using Mpesa, Debit, Credit/ Prepaid Card, EazzyPay, KCB Cash, Equity Cash, Pesalink or E-Agent.
9. Download and print the temporary permit from your ecitizen account then stick your passport size photo on the permit.
10. Present your printed temporary permit to the immigration officer at the port of entry or exit.
Requirements for application of the temporary travel permit
1. Original and photocopies of National ID cards.
2. Birth certificate, this is if the application is for children who have not attained the age of 18 years.
3. 2 coloured passport photos
4. Copies of ecitizen payment invoice (two copies)
5. Copies of the temporary permit application (two copies)