This is a guide on how to apply for an interim driving license in Kenya. National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) is the body mandated to issue driving licenses in Kenya.
No person shall be allowed to drive a motor vehicle unless he/she is a holder of a valid or provisional driving license that is endorsed in respect of a class of vehicle.
An interim driving license is specifically meant to serve for the period that you are yet to receive a valid driving license. It basically serves as a waiting card. It is usually valid for a period of one year and is only issued after one has completed his/her driving test at a recognised driving school.
Application for an interim driving license is done online, via the eCitizen platform. The application costs Kshs. 750.
Here is a step by step guide on how to apply for an interim driving license in Kenya.
1. Log in to your eCitizen portal or create an account first if you don’t have one.
2. Go to the National Transport and Safety Authority tab, click on get service.
3. Click on ‘Make Application’
4. Select ‘Driving Licenses’, then click on option three (Driving Licence NC) and apply.
5. Correctly fill in the information below.
- Test drive booking type (TBD)
- Licenced Test Drive Booking Number
6. Review your entry and then click submit button to finish.
7. You will be directed to the payment page. Choose your preferred means of payment, either M-pesa or bank option. You will be charged a fee of Kshs 750. Proceed to make the payment as required.
8. After making the payment, click on complete then proceed to submit your application.
9. The interim license will be processed instantly. You can proceed to download your interim license by clicking on the download button located at the top right corner of your screen.
10. From there, you can print the Interim Driving Licence which will be used as you wait for the Driving licence.
11. The interim license will indicate all the necessary details, your driving class, date of application and the expiry date of the interim license. It will be valid for one year.