This is a step by step guide on how to apply for KRA PIN cancellation or deregistration. Kenya Revenue Authority issues a PIN to all taxpayers in Kenya. KRA PIN registration is done online via the iTax portal and a PIN certificate is issued instantly upon successful registration. This applies to residents only. Non-residents will receive an acknowledgement receipt which should be presented to Times Tower, alongside other relevant documents, for completion of the registration process.
The PIN is a Personal Identification Number used while doing business with KRA, government authorities and other service providers. You are required to have a KRA PIN if you are employed, in business, have rental income or wish to apply for a HELB loan. The PIN may also be necessary when you want to perform certain transactions as stated by the authority.
KRA provides room for one to cancel his/her PIN or tax obligations. However, you may be required to provide supporting documents on why you want your PIN to be cancelled. You should also continue filing your returns and paying taxes until you receive an official communication that the PIN/tax obligation has been cancelled.
Requirements For KRA PIN Cancellation
- A valid KRA PIN.
- Be tax compliant (you should not have any debts while applying for PIN cancellation).
- You must have supporting documents/ reasons why you want you PIN/tax obligations to be cancelled.
How To Apply For KRA PIN Cancellation
1. Go to the iTax website https://itax.kra.go.ke/KRA-Portal/
2. Log in using your KRA PIN and password.
3. Go to Registration tab and select E-cancellation.
4. Select PIN/tax obligation to be cancelled. Tax obligations may include Income tax, Value Added Tax (VAT) and Pay As You Earn (PAYE).
5. Provide reasons for cancellation.
6. Submit your application for consideration by the relevant office.
Head Office: Times Tower, Haile Selassie Avenue, Nairobi.
Phone: +254 20 499 8000, 0711 099 999.
Email: [email protected]
Check out: How To Check If You Have KRA Penalties