This article will guide you on how to apply for Nairobi Expressway ETC and MTC cards. MOJA Expressway, the company responsible for the operation of the 27.1km long Nairobi Expressway offers travellers four convenient methods for toll payment. These methods include cash payments, Mobile Money ( Mpesa), the Manual Toll Collection (MTC) card, and the Electronic Toll Card (ETC).
1. Cash Payment
For those who prefer traditional payment methods, cash payments are available at entry toll points. Travellers collect a ticket upon entering the expressway and pay the toll fee at the exit point. While this method is straightforward, it might not be the most time-efficient, especially during peak hours.
2. Mobile Money i.e Mpesa
3. Manual Toll Collection (MTC) Card
The MTC card presents a practical alternative to cash payments. This card is loaded with a pre-defined amount of money and can be used by tapping it at both entry and exit points. This method eliminates the need for physical cash and enhances the overall toll-paying experience.
4. Electronic Toll Card (ETC)
Arguably the most efficient method, the ETC is the fastest way to pay for using the Nairobi Expressway. Unlike the MTC card, the ETC requires an installation of an On-Board Unit in your car. The OBU works in a way that the cameras at the toll gate will automatically pick up your car and open the gate when you approach meaning there is a minimal to zero chance of you stopping.
With these cards in place, how can one have access to and use them? The application process for each card is simple and straightforward. This guide will provide a step-by-step process to acquire one.
MTC and ETC Card Requirements
To acquire an ETC for personal use, individuals are required to provide the following documents:
– Car Logbook
– National ID Card or Passport
For corporate MTC and ETC accounts, companies need to submit:
– Authorisation Letter
– Copy of Certificate of Incorporation
– Copy of Company PIN Certificate
– Copy of Vehicle’s Logbook
– Original and Copy of Contact Person’s ID/ Passport
How to Apply For the Nairobi Expressway ETC Card
Follow this step-by-step application process to acquire an ETC card:
- Visit the Nairobi Expressway Customer page
- Click “Create Account”
- Choose between ‘Individual’ or ‘Corporate’ Account
- Fill in the necessary information and click “Submit”
- Enter the Verification Code received via text message
- Access your Profile Dashboard and click “Apply” for a new ETC
- Complete required details, including uploading scans of ID/Passport and Logbook
- Select an installation center: Lavington or Mombasa Road
- Visit the chosen installation center and confirm the submission of online data
- Sign documents and top up your account
- Have the ETC unit installed on your vehicle’s windshield
- Activation of the unit is done by the agent with a handheld device
- Pay a service charge of KES 1000 inclusive of VAT
- After that, purchase Toll Points and load Toll Points into your OBU device. The Minimum purchase amount of Toll Points is KES 2000 and with a validity of One Year.
- Your ETC is now ready to use.
How to apply for the Nairobi Expressway MTC Card
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to obtain and utilize the MTC card effectively:
- Start by accessing the official Nairobi Expressway Customer page through your web browser.
- On the Customer page, locate the “Create Account” button and click on it to initiate the application process.
- Select the type of account you wish to create, whether it’s an ‘Individual’ or ‘Corporate’ Account, based on your needs.
- Provide the required information in the application form, ensuring accuracy and completeness. Once done, click “Submit.”
- Check your mobile phone for a text message containing a verification code. Enter this code on the website to confirm your identity.
- After verification, you will be directed to your Profile Dashboard on the Nairobi Expressway Customer page.
- Inside your Profile Dashboard, find and click the “Apply” button to request a new Manual Toll Collection (MTC) card.
- Fill in the necessary details as prompted, which includes uploading scanned copies of your ID/Passport and vehicle’s Logbook.
- Select your preferred installation center for the MTC card, either at Lavington or on Mombasa Road.
- Go to the chosen installation center and inform them that you’ve already submitted the necessary information online.
- Complete any required paperwork and top up your MTC card account with funds.
- An agent will activate the MTC unit using a device, ensuring that it’s ready for use.
- Pay a service charge of KES 1000, inclusive of VAT, as part of the MTC card activation process.
- Once activated, purchase Toll Points with a minimum amount of KES 1000. These Toll Points are valid for one year and can be loaded onto your MTC card’s On-Board Unit (OBU) device.
MOJA Expressway Contacts