This is a step by step guide on how to apply for a tax compliance certificate in Kenya. A tax compliance certificate is an official document issued by KRA as proof of having filed and paid all taxes. It is an important document that is a gateway to several opportunities, especially job opportunities.
Tax compliance certificates are valid for only 12 months from the date of issue. One can however renew the certificate 7 days prior to the expiry of the previous one.
Tax Compliance Certificates Issued By KRA
- Tax compliance certificates for taxpayers seeking tenders with government ministries and institutions.
- Tax compliance certificates to employees leaving service nor seeking new job opportunities.
- Tax compliance certificates for taxpayers seeking liquor licenses.
- Tax compliance certificates for clearing and forwarding agents.
How To Apply For A Tax Compliance Certificate
Application for the certificates is done online through the iTax platform and the certificate sent to the applicant’s email address. Before applying for the certificate, the applicant must be compliant in filing of tax returns on or before the due date for all applicable tax obligations, payment of tax on or before the due date and clearance of all outstanding tax debt.
Here is how to apply for the compliance certificate online.
1. Go to the KRA iTax portal.
2. Log in using your KRA PIN and password.
3. On the iTax dashboard, select Certificates then click on ‘Apply for Tax Compliance Certificate.
4. Provide a reason for making the application. Personal details are auto populated therefore you are only required to fill in the reason for making the application.
5. Click on submit.
6. You will get a notification or message indicating that your application has been submitted successfully.
7. KRA will provide you with an acknowledgement number with which you can track your application.
8. The application will be reviewed after a few days and the certificate sent to your email address.
9. Proceed to download the certificate in PDF form to your email then print.