This is a simple guide on how to become a Kenyan Citizen by marriage. According to chapter three of the Kenyan constitution, one can acquire citizenship either by birth or registration.
A person who has been married to a Kenyan citizen for a period of at least seven years is entitled on application to be registered as a citizen. Below are the requirements that must be satisfied before the person is entitled to be registered as a citizen.
- The marriage must be legally recognised under the laws of Kenya – whether done in Kenya or outside Kenya
- The applicant has not been declared a prohibited immigrant
- The applicant has not been convicted of an offence and sentenced to imprisonment for a term of three years or longer
- The marriage was not entered into for the purpose of acquiring a status or privilege in relation to immigration or citizenship
- The marriage must be continuing at the time of the application.
Documents to submit when filing an application to become a Kenyan Citizen by Marriage
1. Duly completed application Form 8 attested to by a Commissioner for Oaths – downloaded from eFNS
2. Duly filled in and signed Citizenship Questionnaire Form – downloaded from eFNS.
3. Application letter addressed to the Director of Immigration Services
5. Two Passport size photographs
6. Copy of marriage certificate
7. Original certificate of good conduct
8. Passport copy of the applicant
9. Copy of Kenyan Spouse’s Passport /ID
10. A joint Sworn in Affidavit
11. Copy of dependant’s pass/permit
12. Copy of Checklist available here
How to apply
- Create a login account with the Government of Kenya Single Sign On portal
- Log in using the account you have created above to access the eFNS portal
- Once logged in to the eFNS portal, select the “Apply now” Link
- Click on the “Submit Applications” tab and select the Citizenship by Marriage tab. If you are already logged in to eFNS, you can click here to make an application.
- After your application is processed, an invoice will be generated which you can see by clicking on “Dashboard” then the “Payments” Tab. If you have already logged in eFNS, you can click here to make a payment.
- If unable to pay using any of the online modes, print your application form by clicking on “Dashboard” then the “My Applications” tab (If you have already logged in eFNS, you can click here to print your application).
- Present your application with all the requirements at the Immigration Counter at Nyayo House, Nairobi for payments and processing
- You shall receive automatic notifications via email and on your online account about the progress of your application.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- The registration fee is non-refundable
- Application print-outs must be presented to the Immigration Headquarters
East African Community: Ksh 5,000
Others: Ksh 30,000
For more information, kindly contact the Directorate of Immigration Services using the contact below.
Directorate of Immigration Services Citizenship Application Contacts
Phone:+254 707 658 755
Immigration Headquarters: Nyayo House, Kenyatta Avenue/Uhuru Highway