This is a guide on how to pay for the KPLC electricity bill with Bonga points. Kenya Power and Lighting Company (KPLC) recently partnered with Safaricom to enable its customers to pay for electricity bill with Bonga points.
The move was initiated in a bid to provide relief to households facing financial challenges/ pressure from suppressed incomes, especially due to the adverse economic effects of the coronavirus pandemic which has caused massive job losses and claimed millions of lives worldwide.
Over 7 million KPLC customers can comfortably redeem Bonga points to pay for their electricity bills or purchase tokens, at a rate of 20 cents per Bonga point.
Both postpaid and prepaid customers qualify to redeem Bonga points for electricity token. There is no maximum or minimum number of points that one needs to redeem for electricity. It is also possible for one to transfer his/ her Bonga points to another customer.
Well, for those who may not be familiar with what Bonga points entails, it is a loyalty scheme that was launched by Safaricom in 2007. The scheme allows Safaricom customers to accumulate points based on usage of services such as airtime top up and Mpesa transactions.
How to redeem Bonga points for electricity
1. Dial *126#.
2. Select ‘Lipa na Bonga points’.
3. Select Pay Bill.
4. Enter business number 888888 for postpaid and 888880 for prepaid.
5. Enter account or meter number.
6. Enter the amount you want to pay.
7. Confirm the details then select ‘Accept’ if the details are correct.
8. Enter your service PIN then click OK.
9. A notification will pop up indicating that your request has been successfully received and will be advised upon completion.
10. KPLC will generate the prepaid/postpaid token and send it via SMS.
Kenya Power and Lighting Company (KPLC) Contacts
Contact Centre Hotline Numbers
(For service related enquiries).
97771, 0703 070 707, 0732 170 170
Facebook: Kenya Power Care
Twitter: Kenya Power Care