This is a guide on how to pay your KRA penalty through Mpesa as of 2019. All registered taxpayers in Kenya are required to adhere to the tax regulations set by the Kenya Revenue Authority. Failure to comply with these laws is an offence and results in various penalties which we have listed below.
List Of KRA Penalties in Kenya
1. Failure to register – fine not exceeding Kshs.20, 000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or both
2. Enforced registration – default penalty of Kshs. 100,000
3. Failure to submit a return on or before the due date or submitting a payment return without paying the tax due – default penalty of Kshs.20, 000 and an additional tax of 2% compounded.
4. Failure to keep proper records – a default penalty of between Kshs.10, 000 to Kshs.200, 000
5 Fraudulent Accounting – a fine not exceeding Kshs.400, 000 or double the tax evaded whichever is greater or imprisonment for a term not exceeding three (3) years or both.
6. Failure to issue a Tax Invoice – an automatic penalty of Kshs.10, 000
7.Failure to display a certificate of registration – a default penalty of Kshs.20, 000 and a fine not exceeding Kshs.200, 000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding two (2) years or both.
How To Pay KRA Late Tax Returns penalty Through Mpesa 2018
1.Log into your KRA web portal account through this link https://itax.kra.go.ke/
2.Select payment registration under the payment drop down menu
3. Fill the required details on the payment information page, submit and download the E-slip which will have a PRN ( Payment Registration Number )
4. You will use this PRN as your account number when making the payment using Mpesa. The PayBill number you will use is 572572
- Go to your Mpesa Menu
- Select Lipa na Mpesa
- Select Paybill
- Enter 572572 as the business number
- Enter the PRN as your account number
- Enter the amount you want to pay
- Enter your Mpesa pin and press OK
- You will receive a transaction confirmation message from Mpesa.
You can, either way, use the downloaded E-slip as your deposit slip for Bank payments.
You can contact KRA using their twitter account @KRACare or call 0711099999/4999999 for any assistance.