This is a simple guide on how to pay NHIF penalty through Mpesa. Having an NHIF cover in Kenya is one of the most important things you will do in your life. For instance, upon admission to the hospital, an NHIF member is accorded services and the hospital later makes a claim to the Fund for reimbursement- which can simply save your life when broke. By the way, NHIF does not exclude any disease.
Sometimes you can forget to pay your NHIF monthly contribution if you are self-employed, which results in a penalty of Ksh 250. This happens when you fail to pay your contribution before the 9th of every month. Below, we have done a simple guide on how you can pay the penalty via Mpesa.
1. Go to Mpesa and click ”Lipa na Mpesa”
2. Enter 200222 as the NHIF business number
3. For account details, enter your national ID number then add letter ”y” at the end i.e ” 32688811y” . This will treat the payment as a penalty.
4. Enter Ksh 250 for every month you have defaulted.
5. Enter your Mpesa PIN
6. You will receive a confirmation message for the payment.
Please note that this is only applicable to self-employed NHIF members.