This is a guide on how to register a construction project in Kenya. National Construction Authority (NCA) is the overall governing body that regulates, streamlines and builds capacity in the construction industry. Therefore, before embarking on any construction project, one must register the project with the National Construction Authority.
Requirements For Registering A Construction Project In Kenya
- The contractor and sub-contractor must be registered with NCA and must have a valid practising license for the current financial year.
- Project consultants must be duly registered and with valid practising licenses by their respective professional regulatory bodies such as the Engineers Board of Kenya and the Board of Registration of Architects and Quantity Surveyors. The consultants’ registration numbers are required for the registration process.
- Approved architectural and structural drawings.
- Physical planning forms (County Approval Permits/Letters/PPA 2)
- Other statutory regulatory approvals, such as NEMA, ERC, WRA and KCAA license where necessary.
- Bill of quantities summary page duly signed and stamped by the QS.
- Developer’s KRA PIN.
- Signed contract/tender form/signed agreement by developer with the contractor.
- Supervision commitment letters by consultants and agreements/contracts by developers with consultants.
1. Log on to the NCA website www.nca.go.ke, then click developers. You can also log on to the NCA web-based GIS portal, oprs.nca.go.ke. Click on the log in tab of project registration to register a construction project. The GIS portal allows you to access all NCA project registration services.
2. Once the developer has registered a new user account, they can log in to the account. Click on new application then fill in project details and upload requisite documents. After submission, all consultants and contractors will receive a confirmation email. The system will automatically generate a unique tracking number for all projects, starting with ‘PRJ REG’. One can register as many accounts as possible from one account.
3. The developer/ user account holder should ensure that all appointed consultants and contractors accept their engagement on email and all the necessary documents are uploaded before the responsible regional coordinator verifies the application. The developer will get a verification email requesting the developer to await a due diligence inspection.
4. After on-site due diligence is conducted by a compliance officer digitally, the regional co-ordinator can either approve the application or return it with comments, depending on whether the project is a low, medium or high risk, the certificates should be automatically sent to the developers’ email within 7 days, with a unique project ID.
5. In the event a developer wishes to change consultant details, contractor or project details, they should log into the portal and click on ‘view update application.’ All requisite documents will be re-uploaded. The regional coordinator will review and approve changes if in order.
Location: 9th Floor, KCB Towers, Kenya Road, Upper Hill Area, Nairobi
Tel: +254 709 126 102/172/173
2. Nairobi Regional Office
Location: Likoni Road, Industrial Area, Opposite NTSA.
Contact: 0701 913 723
3. Upper Eastern Region
Location: Former Ministry of Public Works Office, Off Isiolo-Marsabit Road
Contact: 0717 866 955
4. Central Eastern Region
Location: Public Works Yard, Majimbo Area, Embu-Kiritiri Road
Contact: 0790 849 967
5. Central Nyanza Region
Location: Former Ministry of Public Works Offices, Airport Road, Kisumu
Contact: 0704 737 878
6. Central Rift Region
Location: Former Ministry of Public Works Offices, Prison Road, Nakuru
Contact: 0708 768 457
7. North Rift Regional Office
Location: Former Ministry of Public Works Offices, Oloo Street, Eldoret
Contact: 0790 303 186
8. Coast Regional Office
Location: Former Ministry Of Public Works Offices, Shimanzi Road, Makande Area
Contact: 0707 351 398
9. Lower Eastern Regional Office
Location: Former Ministry Of Public Works Offices, Kitui-Nairobi Road
Contact: 0712 267 704
10. Kajiado Regional Office
Location: Off Namanga Road, Kajiado Town.
Contact: 0716 673 726
11. Kiambu Regional Office
Location: Treasury Building, Off Kiambu Road, Kiambu
Contact: 0704 410 497
12. Nyanza South Regional Office
Location: County Public Works Yard, Kisii-Kericho Road
Contact: 0729 931 866
13. Mt Kenya Regional Office
Location: Former Ministry Of Public Works Offices, Chania Road, Nyeri
Contact: 0703 749 742
14. North Eastern Regional Office
Location: Former Ministry of Public Works Offices, Off Kismayu Road, Garissa
Contact: 0707 999 455
15. Western Regional Office
Location: Ministry of Roads, Provincial Headquarters Off Kisumu-Kakamega Road, Kakamega Town
Contact: 0720 342 594