This article focuses on how to register as a foreign doctor in Kenya. Any medical practitioner who has the relevant qualifications from a different country and is willing to offer medical or dental services in the country is required to obtain a license from the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council (KMPDC). He/she must comply with the statutory requirements.
KMPDC will issue licenses to such persons upon payment of the prescribed fees. The license shall be valid for a period determined by the council, subject to a maximum period of 12 months and subject to renewal upon expiry. The license shall stipulate the service to be rendered by the practitioner and specify the institution where such practice shall be rendered.
Those wishing to apply for registration shall complete the relevant application form and submit it to the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council. The application form can be accessed/ downloaded from the council’s website: kmpdc.go.ke.
Requirements For Registration As A Foreign Doctor In Kenya
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Certificate of proficiency in English.
- A certified copy of a valid registration certificate issued in the country of qualification.
- A certified copy of good standing or a similar document issued during the preceding 3 months by the registering authority in the country where the person was working or studying.
- A certified copy of original basic degree.
- Certified true copies of English translations of all documents presented if indicated.
- Relevant testimonials together with relevant English translations.
- The prescribed registration fee.
- Current passport size photos.
- Transcripts and copy of the national identification card.
- The prescribed registration fee is Kshs 20,000. The payment should be made at any Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) branch via the council’s account number 1103158643.
- The registration process takes a maximum period of two weeks.
Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council Contacts
Office Location: Woodlands Road, Hurlingham, Nairobi.
Contacts: +254 720 771 478, +254 738 504 112, +254 011 009 7238