This is a simple guide on how to register for NHIF in Kenya. The National Hospital Insurance Fund is a Kenyan government state corporation with a mandate to provide health insurance to Kenyans over the age of 18 with a monthly income of Ksh 1,000 and above.
NHIF registers all eligible members from both the formal and informal sectors. For those in the formal sector, it is compulsory to be a member. For those in the informal sector and retirees, membership is open and voluntary. To register with NHIF as a member, fill in the Members Form. To register as an employer or organized group, fill in the Employers Form.
1. You must have attained the age of 18 years.
2.Monthly income of Ksh 1,000 and above
3. Copy of National I.D (including spouse if applicable)
4. Copy of Employer Appointment/Introduction Letter (excludes self-employed/voluntary contributors)
5. Coloured passport photo (including spouse and dependents if applicable)
6. Original & copies of Birth Certificate(s) for dependants
8. For foreign residents :
- Copies of passport, alien certificate or work permit (including spouse if applicable)
- Coloured passport photo (including spouse & dependents if applicable)
9. For foreign students :
- Copy of passport
- Coloured passport photo
- Submit the required amount under the Voluntary/Self Employed Category
You can drop the filled registration members form at your nearest NHIF branch. Download the NHIF registration form here.
- Certificate of Registration
- PIN Certificate
NHIF Contributions and Deductions
Formal sector employees’ contributions are deducted and remitted to the Fund by their employers. This is done by Cheque or through E-banking. Members under the voluntary category pay Kshs.500 per month (Kshs.6000 per annum) while those in formal employment, contributions are made as per their income.
Payment of NHIF Claims
Claims are submitted by hospitals directly to NHIF after the contributors have been discharged from the hospitals. The claims are examined by the Fund to ensure validity before payment. A claim can be rejected if there are missing documents or a wrong address.
NHIF pays claims within 14 days upon receipt of the claim from the hospitals. Members who opt to clear the bills with the hospital may launch a general claim directly to NHIF for reimbursement.
Upon admission to hospital, an NHIF member is accorded services and the hospital makes a claim to NHIF for reimbursement.
Check out a list of all accredited NHIF Hospitals in Kenya here.
Common Questions Asked By Self Employed Kenyans Registering For NHIF
1. How Much You Will Be Required to Pay for Initial Registration
You will be required to pay KES 1500 after initial registration. This will load your card for three months as it awaits activation after 60 days (2 months)
2. How Long It Takes Process Membership Registration
Immediately after registration, a member will be notified of their NHIF membership number. Processing and issuing of membership cards are done within a period of 14 working days if all documents are provided.
3. How Long It Will Take to Start Using Your Card
After registration, your card will become active after 60 days (2 months).
Phone : 020 272 3246 / 020 272 3290
You can also contact NHIF via their Twitter handle @nhifkenya for a quick response.