How To Replace A Lost Birth Certificate In Kenya

This is a step by step guide on how to replace a lost birth certificate in Kenya. A birth certificate is a very important document that validates your legal rights to all services entitled to Kenyan citizens. It is used for various purposes such as application of National ID, application of visas or passports and registration of national examinations such as KCPE and KCSE.

How To Replace A Lost Birth Certificate

Lost birth certificates can be replaced using two main ways. This includes physical application and online application.

1. Physical Application

Documents Required

  • Copy of birth notification or the birth certificate. In case you don’t have the copies, yo can visit your county’s civil registry office to be assisted.
  • Original ID/Passport/Birth Certificate of both parents.
  • Copies of ID or Passport of parents. In case one parent is dead, you will be required to present the death certificate.


  • Visit the nearest Huduma Centre or department for civil registration and present a copy of birth notification.
  • Those born within Nairobi County can visit the office of the Registration of Births and Deaths  located at Bishop’s Plaza, Opposite Milimani Court or Huduma Centre.
  • For those born outside Nairobi, visit Hass Plaza, 4th Floor, Lower Hill Road.
  • Fill in the application form presented (Form B1) and submit to the registration officer together with the necessary documents mentioned above.
  • Pay the prescribed fee. The fee ranges between Kshs 50-180.
  • You will be notified once the birth certificate is ready for collection.

2. Online Application


  • Log in to the ecitizen portal.
  • Go to the civil registration department and click on get service. Go to make application and then select birth certificate.
  • Follow the instructions given.
  • Proceed to make the required payment or fee. The fee is about Kshs 180 and can be paid through Mpesa.
  • Confirm your payment then proceed to submit your application.
  • Download the application invoice then go ahead to submit a copy of the invoice to the  Civil Registration Department  located at ACK Bishop House, Bishop’s Road, off Ngong Road.

Check out: How To Replace A Lost KCPE And KCSE Certificate

Zack Abuyeka

I am the third eye.My duty is to keep you updated of the current trends and events happening round the globe.