How To Replace A Lost KCPE And KCSE Certificate

This is a guide on how to replace a lost KCPE and KCSE certificate. The Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) is the sole body that oversees national examinations in Kenya. The council issues certificates to candidates who successfully sit for KCPE and KCSE examinations.

KNEC provides room for those wishing to replace lost or damaged KCPE and KCSE certificates. However, a replacement for the certificates is only issued once.

How To Replace A Lost KCPE And KCSE Certificate


  1. Copy of the lost KNEC certificates. This is a mandatory requirement.
  2. Letter of recommendation from the headteacher of the school attended or from the county education officer, sub-county education officer (this is for private candidates).
  3. A sworn legal affidavit on the identity of the applicant.
  4. Letter of recommendation from your employer to KNEC.
  5. Police abstract indicating loss of the respective certificate. The report should be recorded at the point of loss of the certificate.
  6. Copy of identification card, passport or birth certificate for those under the age of 18 years. The name on the ID or birth certificate should match with those used during the examination.
  7. Original KNEC bank deposit slip of the mandatory KNEC processing fee.

A fee of Kshs 5,000 plus a 16% VAT of Kshs 800, totalling Kshs 5,800 per certificate, should be paid to the following KNEC bank accounts:

  • Co-operative Bank
  • Equity Bank
  • National Bank of Kenya
  • Kenya Commercial Bank

Procedure For Replacing A Lost KNEC Certificate

  1. Obtain the replacement form from the KNEC website
  2. Complete the application form with the required details and submit it to the council secretary.
  3. The correctly filled form can be sent to KNEC through postal offices or courier service providers of your choice. It should be addressed to the council secretary.

The certificates are ready for collection after 60 working days and should be collected by the applicant in person. The certificates should be collected within a period of 2 years. Uncollected certificates which stay for more than 2 years will be disposed of and no refund will be made.

Zack Abuyeka

I am the third eye.My duty is to keep you updated of the current trends and events happening round the globe.