This is a list of all Teachers Service Commission ( TSC) Commissioners in Kenya and their functions as of 2018. The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) of Kenya is an Independent Commission which was established back in July 1967 through an Act of Parliament to give teachers uniform terms and conditions of service. It’headquartered in Upperhill, Nairobi with offices in all the 47 Counties. There are 9 TSC commissioners who comprise of a chairperson and a vice chairperson. Dr. Lydia Nzomo is the current chairperson while Cleopas Tirop is the vice chairperson. All TSC commissioners serve for a period of 6 years on a full-time basis undertaking the following roles. They are all appointed by the president.
Functions of TSC Commissioners in Kenya
1. Registration of trained teachers.
2. Recruiting and employing registered teachers.
3. Assigning teachers employed by the Commission to serve in any Kenyan public school or institution.
4. Promotion and transfer of teachers.
5. Exercising disciplinary control over teachers.
6. Terminating the employment of teachers.
7. Reviewing the standards of education and training of persons entering the teaching service.
8. Reviewing the demand for and supply of teachers
9. Advising the national government on matters relating to the teaching profession.
List Of TSC Commissioners in Kenya 2018
Dr. Lydia Nzomo
Tache Bonsa Gollo
Beatrice Marembo Adu
Albert Fred Ekirapa
Saadia Abdi Kontom
Dr. Salome Gichura