This is a list of all 5 Star Hotels in Nairobi as of 2018. A 5-star hotel provides high-class guest services in state-of-the-art facilities. A recent research by The Tourism Regulatory Authority of Kenya (TRA), revealed that there are only 10 hotels in Nairobi with the highly valued five-star rating. Below are some of the key requirements for achieving a Five Star rating.
5-star hotel requirements
1. The Hotel opens seven days a week all year.
2. Enhanced services offered e.g. valet parking, escort to bedrooms, pro-active table service in bars and lounges and at breakfast, ‘concierge’ service, 24-hour reception, 24-hour room service, full afternoon tea.
3. At least one restaurant, open to residents and non-residents, for all meals seven days a week.
4.All bedrooms with en-suite bathroom with WC, bath and thermostatically controlled shower.
5. A choice of environments in public areas of sufficient size to provide generous personal space.
6.Additional facilities e.g. secondary dining, leisure, business centre, spa etc.
7.A number of permanent luxury suites available.
8. Buildings, their fixtures, furnishings, fittings and exterior and interior décor maintained in an excellent, clean condition.
9.24-hour reception with sufficient highly skilled staff to ensure no delay for guests.
10. Arriving guests greeted without delay outside the hotel entrance. Valet parking offered.
11.A seamless transition upon arrival from outside the hotel entrance to the reception area.
12. All guests offered an escort to the bedroom by a member of staff with excellent skills.
13. Guests informed of important hotel and bedroom facilities by the escort.
14.Hotel staff taking control of luggage from guest’s arrival outside to prompt delivery in the bedroom. The same quality of service repeated on departure.
15.Secure short-term luggage storage with the receipt provided.
16.Pressing service (minimum same day) and 24-hour return laundry service.
17. Cloakroom service (coat storage) with a receipt provided.
18. All messages discreetly handled and written messages presented in an envelope
19. At least one restaurant, open to residents and non-residents, for all meals seven days a week.
20.Table appointments of excellent quality.
21. A well-structured team of staff with management presence. The restaurant always staffed.
22. Breakfast served for at least three hours
23.A comprehensive range of excellent quality hot and cold dishes. Examples might include fresh juices and fruits, cold meats and cheeses, free range eggs, local specialities, fresh fish and range of bakery items and pastries, special dietary produce and a comprehensive range of appetising hot items.
24.Where there is a buffet, a higher level of assistance available.
25.Last orders for dinner no earlier than 10.00 p.m.
26.A broad range of dishes of outstanding quality.
27. All meals, including any room service, prepared with an excellent level of skill using fresh produce. Cuisine quality meeting a high international standard.
28. A comprehensive range of drinks, including wines and cocktails.
29.Light refreshments and hot and cold snacks available to residents in the public areas 24 hours.
30.Full afternoon tea available.
31.24-hour room service of hot and cold snacks and drinks including alcoholic drinks
32. Room service ordered, delivered and cleared in a highly professional and efficient manner and without impacting on other services.
33.Excellent intrinsic quality and condition, with a luxurious standard of furniture, furnishings, flooring, fittings and décor
34. Internal and external noise levels absolutely minimal. Possibly achieved by use of double-glazing, excellent structural insulation and a spacious bedroom lobby area.
35. Bed linen, including duvet covers (even if top sheet provided), changed at least every two days and for each new guest.
36. Rooms prepared in advance of the guests’ arrival – possibly including setting an appropriate ambient temperature for the time of year, airing the room well, closing curtains and putting on a light during the hours of darkness.
37.An evening housekeeping service provided and advertised – possibly including some of the following services: bed turned down, bins emptied, curtains drawn, towels tidied, room service trays removed.
38.All bedrooms with a well-planned layout relative to the needs of the guest i.e. business or leisure use. Greater space would be expected where temporary beds or bed settees are used.
38.Beds for single occupancy to exceed 90cms / 3ft in width.
39.Beds for double occupancy to be at least 153cms / 5ft in width. Several beds to exceed this size.
40.Beds and headboards of excellent quality and condition.
41.Individually controlled thermostatic heating operable 24 hours.
42.Fans provided during hot weather when air conditioning is not provided.
43.Excellent levels of lighting with a range of separately controllable options
44.One bedside light per person.
45.Room lighting controllable from the bedside.
46.Window coverings providing full blackout
47.Excellent quality window dressing
48.Flooring of an excellent quality and condition throughout.
49. All furniture, soft furnishings, and fittings providing excellent ease of use and of an excellent quality and condition.
50. A fully fitted or freestanding wardrobe with a wide range of quality hangers provided. Illumination inside the wardrobe expected.
51. One substantial easy chair plus an additional chair providing comfortable use at the dressing/writing table- for single rooms.
52.Additional audio-visual options provided as well as terrestrial channels e.g. in-house channels, CD Player, DVD or video library, satellite, cable, and PlayStation
53. A minimum of two direct dial telephones – one at the bedside and one on the desk/dressing table. Guests able to call individual hotel departments directly.
54.Consideration given to multilingual and visually enhanced material.
55.All bedrooms with en-suite facilities with WC, bath and thermostatically controlled shower.
56. All bathrooms of excellent quality and condition, and providing excellent ease of use with a luxurious standard of fittings, flooring and décor.
57.Excellent light intensity overall, especially at the mirror.
58.Excellent heating, ventilation and extraction
59.A range of towels which includes bath sheets, robes and face cloths of excellent quality and condition.
60.An excellent range of luxury guest toiletries (for example hand soap, bath soap, shampoo, gels, body lotion, tissues etc).
61.Furnishings, fittings and décor of an excellent quality and condition, providing an overall luxurious standard.
62. Additional facilities such as secondary dining, leisure, business centre, spa.
63.A lift is required when there is a guest bedroom that is more than three floors higher or lower than the entrance level floor i.e. on the fourth floor. It is expected that a lift will be provided to all floors in the main building. The should be a separate lift for hotel services such as luggage, laundry and room service.Where there is no lift, this should be made clear at the time of booking.
64.The environment of all sitting areas of excellent quality and condition, and of sufficient size and with a well-designed layout to provide generous personal space and privacy for guests. A variety of seating styles expected.
65.Restaurant tables should have sufficient space around them to allow a high degree of privacy and freedom of movement.
66.Corridors and staircases wide and spacious allowing freedom of movement for guests and service trolleys.
67.A serviced coat storage cloakroom provided. Receipts are given.
68.Corridors and staircases permanently lit.
69.Spacious, luxurious and numerous toilet facilities and with refinements such as individual hand towels, high-quality toiletries and accessories
70. Undercover access to any accommodation separate to the main building. This could include chauffeured transport or escort with umbrella provided.
List Of 5 Star Hotels in Nairobi 2018
Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi
Fairmont The Norfolk
Harry Thuku Road
Junction Of Kenyatta Avenue and Kimathi Street
14 Riverside Drive
City Hall Way
Redcross Road,off Popo Road