This is a list of the best savings accounts in Kenya. Savings accounts provide convenient and secure ways to grow your money and set money aside for future use or needs. There are several banks in Kenya that offer different types of savings accounts. This article will however focus on well-established banks that have over the years offered reliable savings accounts.
In no particular order, here is a list of the best savings accounts in Kenya.
1. PureSave Account- Stanbic Bank
The PureSave account helps you to save your spare cash and build up your cash reserves. The product features and competitive interest rates make your money work for you. Interest rates per annum are as follows;
- 0- 499,999 : 3%
- 500,000- 999,999 : 3.5%
- 1,000,000- 4,999,999 : 40%
- 5,000,000- 999,999,999 : 5%
- 10,000,000- 19,999,999 : 5.5%
- 20m and above : 6%
- Attractive competitive rates on your savings and investments. Interest rates are paid for balances above Kshs 5,000.
- No monthly fees are charged to help you save better.
- Your funds are always safe.
- You can borrow against your savings without interfering with it.
- One free cash withdrawal is allowed per month (over the counter).
- Free funds transfer from Mpesa to your savings account.
- Personal loan of up to 80% of your savings amount.
- Pre-approved advances of up to 80% of your savings balances.
- Interest is calculated daily and paid monthly.
- Access to a current account with free access to the internet and mobile banking.
- Copy of your National ID.
- Proof of residence.
- 3 months statement from your current bank or a recent payslip.
2. Zidisha Bonus Account- Absa Bank
This is an award-winning savings account that pays you a bonus when you meet your savings goals. The less you transact the more interest you earn. The interest rate is 1.2% per annum.
- No minimum balance is required.
- No charges
- Competitive interest rates.
- Bonus rewards to help you grow your savings.
- Quarterly interest.
- Earn a fixed interest rate, plus bonus rewards, based on your transactions. The more you withdraw, the lower the return and vice versa.
- KRA PIN
- National ID/Passport.
- 1 passport photo.
3. Gold Savings Account- NCBA
With some of the best interest rates in the market, saving with NCBA is a smart money decision. The savings account enables you to save even without a current account at the bank. One earns interests on amounts over Kshs 5,000. Interest rates (per annum) are as follows;
- 30,000- 500,000 : 1.5%
- 500,001- 1,000,000: 2.5%
- 1,000,001- 5,000,000: 3.5%
- 5,000,001- 10,000,000: 4.5%
- 10,000,001- 50,000,000 : 5%
- Above 50 million: 6%
- Minimum operating balance of Kshs 2,000.
- One free withdrawal per month.
- Free transfer to own current account via online and mobile banking.
- The more you save, the higher your interest rate.
- Unlimited credits from cash deposits, funds transfers and standing orders.
- Ability to manage your account with online and mobile banking.
4. Simba Savings Account- KCB
This is the best savings account offered by KCB. The interest rate charged is 5% per annum on savings.
- Attractive interest rates of up to 5% savings per year.
- Only one withdrawal per month.
- Zero charges on money remitted into the account.
- Opening and a minimum balance of Kshs 1,000.
- Valid Kenyan ID or passport.
- Your KRA PIN certificate.
5. Safari Savings Account- Standard Chartered Bank
The savings account gives you the opportunity to save for that rainy day or something special whilst earning you interest. Interest rates (per annum) are as follows;
- 0- 1,999,999 : 0.5%
- 2,000,000- 4,999,999 : 0.75%
- 5,000,000- 9,999,999 : 1.25%
- 10,000,000- 14,999,999: 1.75%
- 15,000,000- 19,999,999: 2.25%
- 20,000,000- 24,999,999 : 2.75%
- 25,000,000- 29,999,999 : 3.25%
- 30,000,000- 49,999,999 : 3.75%
- 50 million and above. : 4.25%
- Free e-statements quarterly.
- Opening balance of Kshs 2,000.
- Free withdrawals once a month.
- Interest is calculated daily on your available balance and paid quarterly.
- Easy access to online/mobile banking.
6. Eazzy Save Account- Equity Bank
Eazzy Save helps you set money aside from your account to keep it secure until it matures. It is ideal for individuals and groups. Interest rate charged depends on the amount saved in the account.
- No minimum operating balance.
- Savings worth Kshs 20,000 and above attract competitive interests paid annually.
- No monthly charges.
- Full access to mobile banking.
- Cash and cheque deposits.
- Free internal standing orders.
7. Hekima Savings Account- Co-operative Bank
Hekima Savings account enables you to put your shillings to work and enjoy high interest rates. Interest rate charged is 3% per annum.
- No minimum opening balance.
- No minimum operating balance.
- No monthly maintenance fee.
- Interest is calculated daily on credit balances and paid quarterly.
- One withdrawal per calendar quarter.
- Regular statements every six months.
- No ATM or debit card.
- Original ID card or passport.
- Copy of KRA PIN.
8. Tujenge Account- Family Bank
Tujenge Account offers you an opportunity to freely build up your savings for future use or in case of emergencies. The account can be opened with any amount. It facilitates a savings plan through cash, cheque, standing order or check-off from your employer. Interest rate is 2% to 7% per annum.
- Lower interest rates on loans secured by the deposits.
- Earn interest annually.
- Free statement available on request.
- Loans available up to 90% of the deposit amount.
- 4 free withdrawals per year.
- Interest earning balance is Kshs 20,000 calculated annually on average monthly balances.
- Photocopy of National ID or passport.
- Any amount of cash to open the account.
- A free passport photo will be taken at your preferred branch.