This is a list of products offered by Mayfair Insurance and its branches in Kenya. It is one of the 56 licensed insurance companies in Kenya by the Insurance Regulatory Authority. The company has been operating in Kenya since 2005 primarily offering general insurance.
Mayfair Insurance Products
a) Personal Solutions
Section A – Building(s)
This section covers the residential building in case of loss or damage caused by:
- Fire, lightning, thunderbolt, earthquake, or volcanic eruption (including flood or overflow of the sea occasioned thereby) or subterranean fire.
- Riot and strike.
- Aircraft or other aerial device or any article dropped therefrom.
- Bursting or overflowing of a water tank apparatus or pipe excluding (a) The first KShs. 500/- in respect of each and every loss. (b) Loss or damage whilst the buildings are left unfurnished –
- Theft accompanied by actual forcible and violent breaking into or out of the buildings or any attempted threat excluding loss or damage occurring whilst the buildings are left unfurnished.
- Impact with the building by any road vehicle or animal not belonging to the insured or any member of his family normally residing with him.
- Storm or tempest (including flood or overflow of the sea occasioned thereby) but excluding damage caused by subsidence or landslip or damage to any building in the course of construction, reconstruction or repairs (unless all outside doors, windows, and other openings thereto are complete and protected against such perils) awnings, blinds, signs, external television and radio antennae, aerial fittings, masts, and towers or other outdoor fixtures and fittings including gates and fences.
- Additional expenses of alternative accommodation and loss of rent (not exceeding ten percent of the sum insured) in the event of the buildings being so damaged by any of the above perils as to be rendered uninhabitable.
Section B – Contents
This section covers loss or damage to household contents caused by any of the perils covered under Section (A).
Section C – All Risks
All Risks insurance covers loss or damage to jewelry, gold and silver plate, and other specified valuables caused by burglary, fire, theft from your person, loss in transit or whilst traveling, accidental damage, etc.
Principle exclusions include loss or damage as a result of:
- civil commotion
- wear and tear
- damage due to moth
- damage by process of repairing, restoring, or renovating.
Sections E & F – Owners’ & Occupiers’ Liability
These sections indemnify the insured against legal liability incurred to third parties as a direct consequence of being an owner or the occupiers of the residential premises.
In addition, the insurer will pay all costs and expenses recovered from the insured by any claimant and/or incurred with the written consent of the insurer in resisting any claim.
2. Motor Private Insurance
This policy provides protection against accidental loss or damage to the motor vehicle including any standard accessories and spare parts as well legal liability which the insured shall be legally liable to pay as damages for accidental bodily injury and or damage to property of 3rd parties including tow costs and expenses incurred with the written consent of the company.
There are three covers under this policy;
- Third-Party, Fire & Theft
- Third-Party only
This cover provides indemnity from:
- Accidental damage to the vehicle, including fire damage
- Theft of vehicle
- Damage to other vehicles or property (TPPD)
- Injury to or death of a passenger in your vehicle (applicable to private cars)
- Injury to or death of Third Party person(s) outside your vehicle, caused by your vehicle (TPPI)
Third-Party, Fire and Theft cover
It has features of Comprehensive cover but excludes damage arising from an accident. It covers third party risks and in addition to that, it also covers loss or damages by fire, external explosion, self-ignition, or lightning or burglary or theft.
It covers liability for third party property damage, personal injuries, or death.
This policy covers:
- any sudden and accidental damage of sports equipment, clothing, accidents caused by the insured whilst playing
- damage to property
- personal accidents
4. Personal Accident
It covers bodily injury caused by violent, accidental, external, and visible means – subject to the limits specified in the policy.
5. Travel Insurance
It provides cover against deterioration of goods in cold storage due to a breakdown of refrigerating machinery.
10. Marine Cargo
This policy provides cover in respect of loss or damage to insured’s goods whilst in the high seas and/or while carried on the road and/or on the rail.
11. Marine Hull
13. Motor Commercial
- Third-Party, Fire & Theft
- Third-Party only
14. Motor Cycle
This covers liability for third party property damage, personal injuries, or death. The range is the same as for private car policies i.e. Third Party, Third Party Fire & Theft, and Comprehensive.
15. Motor Trade
This policy is tailor-made for motor dealers only who engage in the sale of new vehicles, Buying and selling vehicles, Service, and repair of vehicles.
16. General Cartage Motor
This policy applies to a type of vehicle that is used for the carriage of goods for others on hire and/or reward. Protects against accidental loss or damage to the motor vehicle, third party property damage, bodily injury, or death liabilities.
It provides cover against legal liability to persons in various professions that arise out of their duty of skill and care to their clients. Should their clients suffer financial loss as a result of negligence or unprofessional conduct, they may well find themselves liable to reimburse this loss. Professional who can be covered include:
- Auditors/Accountants/Tax Advisors/Actuaries
- Civil and Structural Engineers
- Quantity Surveyors/Land Surveyors
- Valuers/Property Consultants
This policy covers liability for defective products sold to consumers.
This policy indemnifies the insured against all sums, including all costs and expenses incurred with the written consent of the insurer,(subject to the terms, provisions, exclusions, conditions and liability limits) which the insured shall become legally liable to pay for compensation in respect of:
- Death of or bodily injury to any person other than the insured or a person in the service of the insured or his sub-contractor.
- Damage to any property other than property belonging to, held in trust by or in the control of the insured or his employees/subcontractors;
The policy covers the insured trustees for the cost of compensation for their legal liability for loss or damage made against the trustees of a pension scheme for alleged wrongful acts.
The policy covers the insured against legal liability for accidental loss or damage to goods in the custody or control of the insured while being transported either by road, rail, or other specified means.
- Damage to the insured’s boiler and or another pressure plant.
- Damage to surrounding property of the insured.
- Legal liability to third parties of the insured on account of bodily injury, fatal and or non-fatal to the person.
- Damage to the property of third parties.
5. Advanced Loss of Profits
These bonds are normally used for the storage of goods without payment of duty in a bonded warehouse under customs control and as and when the goods are removed, duty is paid.
A claim under these bonds would arise if a person for whom a bond is given changes his/her employment contrary to the one specified in the work permit or is deported from Kenya.
Manufacturing Bonds –
This bond is used for the importation of raw materials duty-free on the condition that the finished goods are exported out of the country. These Bonds are mainly required by industries which manufacture under Bond.
If the goods are not exported or are sold in the country, duty is payable by the Insured.
Also known as tender bonds, bid bonds guarantee compensation to the bond owner if the bidder fails to begin a project. Bid bonds normally have a period during which the bid is valid and in the event, the insured is not awarded the tender, the bid bond lapses.