This article focuses on the benefits of okra for women. Okra is a green seed pod vegetable that is also known as ladyfingers. It is biologically classified as a fruit but it is widely used as a vegetable.
Okra has a high nutritional value. It can be consumed in its raw green nature as a vegetable or used as a spice.
Okra Benefits For Women
1. Okra is a good source of folate which is beneficial for pregnant women. One cup of okra, about 100 grams, can provide 15% of a woman’s daily needs of folate.
Folate is very beneficial for pregnant women as it prevents the risk of neural tube defect, a condition which affects the spine and brain of a developing foetus.
Health experts recommend that women especially those of child-bearing age to consume about 400 mcg of folate on a daily basis.
2. Okra is rich in dietary fiber which helps to improve digestion/ prevent digestive issues. Women need about 25 grams of dietary fiber on a daily basis. All this can be found in okra.
3. Okra is rich in Vitamin C which plays an important role in the rejuvenation and growth of skin cells, thus keeping one’s skin smooth, fresh and healthy.
4. Okra is great for female sexual health, especially for those who suffer from endometriosis and excessive bleeding during menses. Drinking okra water on a regular basis will help to reduce bleeding during the menstrual cycle.
5. Okra is a good source of zinc and vitamins which play an important role in revitalising sexual vigour or sexual health for both men and women.
6. Okra helps to control obesity and can be a good food substitute for women struggling to lose weight. This is because it is low in calories, cholesterol and unsaturated fats. Drinking okra water regularly is a way of shedding excess weight.