This article focuses on pixie orange farming in Kenya. Pixie orange farming is one of the most profitable agribusiness venture in Kenya that is flourishing in semi-arid areas.
Pixie Orange Growing Areas In Kenya
Pixie orange grows well in arid and semi-arid areas. It is mainly grown in areas such as;
- Parts of Coastal region such as Voi
- Parts of Western Kenya.
Ecological Conditions For Growing Pixie Orange
- Altitude of 2100m above sea level.
- At least 6-8 hours of sunlight on a daily basis.
- Well drained soil with pH of 6.5-7.3.
- Perform best in sandy loamy soils.
- Low and moderate rainfall.
- Temperature of about 10°c to 30°c.
- Enough sunlight especially during flowering and fruit ripening.
- A spacing of 4X5m is best to plant pixie trees. This is to allow the penetration of sunlight. With this spacing, an acre can be occupied by 200 pixie trees.
- Planting holes should be dug 2X2 feet wide with a depth of 2 feet.
- Bud grafting is the most preferred method of producing good pixie trees.
Pests and Diseases
- Common pests that affect or attack pixie oranges include mites, aphids, caterpillars, fruit flies, leaf miners and mealyburgs.
- Diseases that may affect pixie oranges include twig blight, damping off, collar rot and gummosis. To control some of the diseases, you can use foliar sprays.
Maturity and Harvesting
- Pixie oranges mature after 2-3 years. Pixie trees begin to flower during the 2nd year, a period which they can also produce fruits.
- Grafted trees mature faster, after 2-3 years.
- Normally, heavy harvesting is witnessed during the fourth year.
- Yield depends on factors such as climatic conditions, soil type etc.
Pixie Orange Market In Kenya
- Pixie oranges are grown in Kenya for local consumption and the export market. Locally, they are mostly sold in supermarkets and grocery stores. A kilo can go for up to Kshs 200 in some of the supermarkets.
- A good percentage of the pixie oranges produced in Kenya is also for the export market. There are several exporters of fresh fruits and vegetables in the country who export the pixie oranges.