This article focuses on the qualifications and roles of Assistant County Commissioners in Kenya. Assistant County Commissioners, previously known as District Officers are part of the national government coordination delivery unit and are under the Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government.
Assistant County Commissioners are employed by the Public Service Commission. They are appointed on a 3-year contract that is renewable subject to satisfactory performance.
This is the entry and training grade for the national government administrative officers cadre. Officers at this level will work under the guidance and supervision of a senior officer who is also answerable to the Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government.
Qualifications For Assistant County Commissioners
- For appointment as an Assistant County Commissioner, a candidate must have a Bachelors Degree in any social science or equivalent qualification from a university recognised in Kenya. One can check the Public Service Commission’s website for any available vacancies or further clarification on the position.
- The Public Service Commission contacts only shortlisted candidates for interviews. The candidates shall be required to produce originals and copies of academic and professional certificates, transcripts and National Identity Card (ID) during the interview.
Roles & Responsibilities Of Assistant County Commissioners
- Carrying out general administrative duties.
- Overseeing implementation of national government development projects in the area of jurisdiction.
- Initiation of peacebuilding initiatives.
- Coordinating disaster management.
- Coordinating the maintenance of law and order.
- General office administration.
- Organise peace meetings and coordinate government functions.
- Identifying persons for national and civil registration.
- Coordinating campaigns against drug, alcohol and substance abuse.
- Ensure security of government property, assets, inventory and facilities.
- Compile returns, daily operations and incident reports.
- Assist in handling general public complaints.
Assistant County Commissioner Salary In Kenya
Assistant County Commissioners are paid between Ksh 30,170 and Ksh 40,060 per month exclusive of allowances.
Salary Scale: Ksh.30,170 – 40,060 p.m. (CSG – 11)
House Allowance: Ksh.4,200 – 10,000 p.m (depending on duty station)
Commuter Allowance: Ksh.4,000 p.m
Leave Allowance: Ksh.4,000 (once yearly)
Medical Cover: As provided by the government
Terms of Service: Three (3) years Contract (Renewable subject to satisfactory performance)