The following are the qualifications one must meet if interested to be General Service Officer (GSO) Cadet in Kenya as provided by the ministry of defence.
(1) Be a Kenyan citizen
(2) Be aged between 18 and 26 years
(3) Not be less than 5 ft 3 in. (5’3”) high
(4) Weigh at least:
(a) Men – 54.55 Kg (120 lb)
(b) Women – 50 Kg (110 lb)
(5) Be medically fit
(6) Not have a criminal record
(7) Be in possession of a valid National Identity Card
(8) Hold a mean Grade B (Plain) certificate or a higher standard of education. Preference to be given to graduates.
(9) Female candidates must NOT be pregnant.
It’s good to note that the Kenya Army, Air Force, and Navy usually subjects their candidates to their respective “Special to Services” selection interviews. Also, any graduate candidate who opts to join the Defence Forces as a General Service Officer (GSO) Cadet will lose all the benefits accorded to a Specialist Officer and will have to fulfil all conditions laid down for a GSO.