On this post, we are going to highlight the requirements non-Kenyans must meet in order to get a student pass in Kenya as of 2018. You will also learn how to apply for the student pass. A student pass is a document issued to people seeking to enter and remain in Kenya for the purpose of receiving education or training at an educational institution within the country by which he/she has been accepted as a student.
Student Pass requirements in Kenya
1. A duly signed and stamped application Form 30 by the institution’s authorized personnel (Both new and renewal cases). You can download the application Form 30 here. You will print out the form at the end of the application for a Student pass. In case you want to reprint your application form, you can do so by going to “My Applications” section here
2. Detailed cover letter from the institution addressed to the Director of Immigration Services indicating the course to be pursued and the duration
3. Signed commitment letter from the sponsor – both new and renewal cases
4. Copy of a valid national passport ( bio-data page)
5. The current immigration status of the student/ intern/researcher (if in the country)
6. Current two(2) passport size colored photos
7. Duly certified Copies of basic academic certificates for those joining Tertiary Institutions and Universities
8.Copy of the school’s registration certificate from the Ministry of Education
9. Clearance letter from Department of Refugee Affairs for refugees
10. Certified copies of progress report/transcripts obtained(by the issuing institution)
11. Copy of student’s pass previously held -for renewal cases
12. Consent letter from the parents (for minors)
13. Commitment letter from the sponsor
14. National passport copy of the sponsor
15. Proof of funds (for self-sponsored students)
16. Copy of birth certificate (for minors)
17. Curriculum vitae (for researchers and interns)
18. Copy of Checklist. click here to download
How to apply for Student Pass in Kenya
- Create a login account within the Government of Kenya Single Sign On portal
- Log in using the account you have created above to access eFNS portal
- Once logged in the eFNS portal, select the “Apply now” Link
- Click on the “Submit Applications” tab and select the Student Pass tab. If you are already logged in to eFNS, you can click here to make an application.
- After your application is approved, an invoice will be generated which you can see by clicking on “Dashboard” then “Payments” Tab. If you have already logged in eFNS, you can click here to make a payment.
- If unable to pay using any of the online modes, print your invoice by clicking on “Dashboard” then “Payments” Tab (If you have already logged in eFNS, you can click here to print your invoice). Present your invoice and Banker’s cheque at the Immigration Counter at Nyayo House, Nairobi for payments
- You shall receive automatic notifications via email and on your online account about the progress of your application
Student Pass Charges
You will pay Ksh 5,000 for the issuance of a student pass for one year in Kenya. One is required to pay for the pass fees within 30 days of receipt of the letter of approval.
Department of Immigration Contacts