This article focuses on the requirements for opening a kindergarten school in Kenya. The Ministry of Education is in charge of the registration of basic education and training institutions in Kenya.
One has to get approval from the ministry before running an educational institution, be it a kindergarten, primary or secondary school. Necessary application or registration forms can be downloaded from the ministry’s website.
Here are the requirements for opening a kindergarten school in Kenya.
1. Duly completed and signed application forms for the institution. The necessary information to be filled in includes;
- Name and address of the institution
- Situation of the proposed institution
- Classification of institution
- Maximum number of pupils to be accommodated
- Details of classes
- Nature of buildings
- Declaration by the applicant
2. Duly completed and signed application forms for the Manager of the institution.
3. A recent full school inspection report from the respective county education offices. The forms should be stamped and signed.
4. A stamped and signed detailed Public health/ Sanitary inspection report.
5. Title deed/allotment letter or a valid lease agreement covering a period of not less than 8 years.
6. Certified copies of professional and academic certificates of the teachers.
7. Supporting D.E.B minutes or extract from D.E.B minutes signed by the chairman and secretary.
8. Site/plan/sketches of the institution showing the existing facilities and future development or extension plans.
9. A copy of registration of the institution’s business name under the Business Names Act or a certified copy of the registration of the organisation as a society or limited company and a copy of the memorandum of association.
10. Registration fees (Bankers cheque made to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Science and Technology). Money/postal orders are not accepted.
Charges for registration are as follows:
- Public schools (Provisional and re-registration) – Ksh 1,000
- Private (Provisional registration) : Ksh 10,000
- Private (Re and full registration) : Ksh 5,000
- Church/Religious based schools (Provisional and re-registration): Ksh 4,000.