Mpesa shops are the most widespread businesses in the Nairobi CBD. If you happen to own one or aspiring to have one, today we are going to list some of the requirements you need to meet in order to be a registered agent by Safaricom.
1. Prospective agent must be registered as a LIMITED company or equivalent with at least 3 outlets ready to offer M‐PESA under the company names. The company MUST have traded for a minimum period of 6 months.
2. An agent is expected to avail a minimum of Kshs. 100,000 per outlet once application is approved.
3. You must employ competent staff with minimum of KCSE to handle the service.
4. An M‐PESA agent must conform to Safaricom branding and merchandising standards. The minimum branding requirements will be supplied to you on commencement of business.
5. Applicants MUST present copies of the documents below certified by a Commissioner for Oaths ;
Safaricom dealers :
a) Certificate of incorporation
b) Form CR12 or an equivalent form valid for the last 3 months
c) Copies of IDS of Office Administrators and Primary Assistants as indicated in the application forms
d) Completed agent application forms
Non Safaricom dealers :
a) Copies of Memorandum and Articles of Association
b) Copies of VAT and PIN certificate where applicable
c) List of Outlets.
d) Certificate of Incorporation or equivalent – 6 months to current
e) Form CR12 or an equivalent form valid for the last 3 months
f) Copies of IDs of Directors or persons playing an equivalent role
g) Copies of IDS of Office Administrators and Primary Assistants as indicated in the
h) Business permits for each of the outlets
-Valid to current year.
-Bears name of company or director.
i) Police clearance certificate for director’s – current to 6 months or persons inequivalent role, Office administrators and Primary Assistants (excluding banks).
Safaricom takes 23 working days to process your application and it’s good to note that the Mpesa agent application forms are usually returned every 1st Tuesday of the month. Upon meeting all the requirements you will be given a till number in which you thereafter use in your business.
N/B : Submission of forged/fake documents in support of agency applications is a criminal offence and Safaricom Reserves the right to reject any application that does not meet the requirements.
M-PESA Agent’s key tasks are:
1. Registration of M-PESA Customers
2. Depositing cash into registered customers M-PESA accounts
3. Processing cash withdrawals for registered M-PESA customers
4. Processing cash withdrawals for non-registered M-PESA customers
5. Customer Education
6. Compliance with Safaricom AML & KYC Policy
7. Compliance with Safaricom business practices
8. Branding of their outlets as per provided guidelines