This article focuses on the roles of a Presiding Officer in Kenya. Presiding officers are election officials hired by the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) to oversee elections in a polling station.
Presiding Officers are answerable to a Returning Officer based at the constituency level.
Roles of a Presiding Officer in Kenya
- Ensure good conduct of elections in the polling station or tallying centre as assigned by the Returning Officer.
- Counting, tallying and announcement of provisional results at the polling station and delivering the same to the Returning Officer.
- Manage and oversee all aspects of the poll in the polling station that he/she is responsible.
- Collect and ensure security of all election materials at the polling station.
- Responsible for the conduct of elections in the polling station.
- Oversee efficient and effective management of elections before, during and after the elections.
- Ensure safe custody of all entrusted documents, handover of all election materials and equipment to the Returning Officer after the elections.
- Assist in training of polling/ counting clerks.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the Returning Officer.
Qualifications for a Presiding Officer in Kenya
- Be a Kenyan citizen of high integrity and be non-partisan.
- Be a holder of Degree/Diploma from a recognised institution in Kenya.
- Be computer literate.
- Have effective communication and good report writing skills.
- Have skills in data computation.
- Ability to manage people, sensitive data and materials.
- Ability to work for long hours with minimal supervision.
- Be of high level of integrity and ability to abide with the codes of conduct of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission.
- Must be of good character with no political affiliation or affiliation with any political party or candidate contesting for any elective seat.
- Must be available for the entire period of the by-election.
- Must be a resident of the constituency or ward which the election is taking place.
IEBC Presiding Officer Salary
Presiding officers will be paid Ksh 2,000 per day while their deputies will receive Ksh 1,800 per day.