Kenyan Citizens travelling to Spain require a Visa as of 2020. In this article, we are going to look at all the requirements one must meet before applying for a Spain Visa. We will highlight the types of Visas available for Kenyans, documents required, processing time and Visa Charges.
One good thing about getting a Spain Visa is that you will be able to access other 26 Schengen countries freely without being stopped at the border points. Kenyans travelling to Spain can apply for a tourist visa, Business and Conference Visa, Transit Visa, Student & Research Visa, Medical Visa, and a Sports Events visa.
Spain Schengen Tourist Visa For Kenyan Citizens
This is a short stay visa given to Kenyans traveling to Spain for holiday or visiting friends. It allows you to stay for 90 days (3 months) over a period of 180 days (6 months). To be able to apply for a Spain Visa in Kenya, you have to meet the requirements below.
1. Your Passport must be valid for at least 6 months and have at least 2 blank pages at the time of application.
2. 2 color photos not more than six months old, passport size (45 mm x 35 mm), full face and taken against a light background.
3. Detailed Travel Itinerary
4. In the case you are visiting friends or relatives, he/she must submit a Certified Invitation letter issued by the
Police in Spain.
5. Accommodation proof (hotel or apartment reservation).
6. Purpose of the journey
7. Individual medical travel insurance (minimum coverage 30,000 Euros). It should cover all costs arising as a result of emergency medical assistance, emergency hospitalization or medical repatriation and should be valid for the duration of the stay.
8. Your bank statements of the last 6 months; This is essential for you to show proof of financial stability during your stay in Spain. You can also present copies of your income tax returns or the last three month’s salary slips.
9. If you are employed, submit a dated and signed leave letter from your (current) employer.
10. Cover letter; This cover letter must be well written and formatted clearly. It must mention the reason you are visiting Spain, how your trip is being funded, your itinerary and our intention to return to Kenya after your holiday.
11. Proof of family ties in Kenya based on birth certificates, marriage certificate etc. if available
13. Copy of your return flight ticket.
How to Apply for a Spain Schengen Tourist Visa
Step 1. Download the Spain Visa Application Form
Step 2: Fill the application form carefully and remember to sign it.
Step 3: Make sure you have put in place the documents and requirements we have stated above
Step 4: Provide your 2 recent color photographs for the visa application with the following specifications;
- Two recent color passports, size of photographs(45mm x 35mm) full face and taken against a white background so that features are distinguishable and contrast against the background.
- Clear share quality and with the face in focus.
- Printed on normal photographic paper (camera print).
- Full face, non-smiling [without sunglasses, a hat/cap or other head covering, unless the applicant wears such items because of their religious belief or ethnic background]
- Stick the Photograph on the Visa Application Form.
Step 5: Spain Schengen Tourist Visa Application Fees
Visa Fee in KES(Inclusive of VAT)
Visa fee + Service Fee in KES
(Inclusive of VAT)
Tourist/Family Visit/Conference/Sports Events; Business/Transit/Student/Medical
Child below 6 years
Child between 6-12 years
Step 6: Book an appointment at the BLS Visa application Center in Nairobi to submit your application. Use this link to book an appointment.
Step 7. Spain Schengen Tourist Visa Processing Time in Kenya
After application gets accepted at the Spain BLS Visa Application Centre, it will be submitted on the next working day at the Embassy of Spain. The Spain Embassy takes 15 days to process a normal visa application. In some particular cases, it can take up to 30 and even up to 60 days.
All applications must be submitted at least 10 days prior to the proposed date of travel.
Step 8. Tracking Your Application Status
After submitting the application, they will give you a reference which you can use to track the application status online via this Link
Spain Visa BLS Application Center Nairobi, Kenya Contacts
Mara Block 2, 3rd Floor,
Corner Of Peponi Road and Eldama Ravine Road
14.00 to 17.00 hrs (Monday to Friday)
1. The applicant’s personal data.
2. The reason for the visit to the Member State of destination
3. Period of intended stay in the Member State
4. Who will be responsible for supporting the applicant financially during the stay in Spain.
5. Date and contact details
If you are attending a conference which requires prior registration, proof of registration and receipt of the registration fee
- Your personal data, profession and position
- Terms of employment (temporary or permanent) Duration of employment
- Monthly net salary (pay slips)
- Purpose of the visit
- Number of leave days
- granted Date and contact details
- Who will be responsible for supporting the applicant financially during the time you are in Spain.
If you are self‐employed, please submit
- Copy of Kenya PIN Certificate
- Proof of registration with the relevant authorities (e.g. Registration Certificate and Memorandum & Articles of Association)
- Bank statements pertaining to the said business (last 3 months).
5. A detailed schedule of your business meetings (ONLY for stays over 30 days)
6. Company covering letter with entire travel plan (itinerary)
7. Proof of accommodation for your entire stay in Germany
8. Proof of financial stability.
- If employed: Payslips of the past three months/employment contract
- If self-employed: Certificate of Proprietorship or other proof of ownership (proof of land title, proof of income from agriculture (sales form) etc.)
9. Copy of a photocopy of return ticket or flight reservation.
11. Individual medical travel insurance (minimum coverage 30,000 Euros). It should cover all costs arising as a result of emergency medical assistance, emergency hospitalization or medical repatriation and should be valid for the duration of the stay.
Spain Schengen Student Visa Requirements For Kenyan Citizens
1. Your Passport must be valid for at least 3 months after the scheduled return and have at least 2 blank pages at the time of application. The passport must have at least two empty pages and cannot be older than 10 years.
2. Letter of acceptance from the educational institution in Spain. The letter must contain the following
- your personal data
- what course you have been admitted to/what research work to be done
- course/research duration
- who will be responsible for supporting you financially during the time you are in Spain
- date and contact details
3. Signed letter from your educational institution in Kenya containing your personal data, the name of the institution, contact details, course enrollment and the number of years at the institution.
Supporting documents of previous studies and recognition of the academic degrees of the academic degrees where necessary. These should be duly legalized.
4. Documents accrediting the knowledge of the Spanish language if applicable.
5. 2 color photos not more than six months old, passport size (45 mm x 35 mm), full face and taken against a light background.
6. Documents certifying the availability of accommodation in Spain, for the entire period of study.
7. Individual International Medical Insurance (minimum cover of €30,000), covering all costs of arising as a result of emergency medical assistance, emergency hospitalization or medical repatriation and valid for the entire period of stay and all Schengen countries as per the list accompanying this document.
8. Supporting documents accrediting the financial means to cover the studies, accommodation and living expenses, during the entire stay (The minimum amount is 900 Euros per month), though :
- Scholarships or economic grants. The nature and quantity of assistance should be indicated and if the applicant will receive a stipend.
- Employment Certificate, job description, and salary of the sponsor
- Bank/Credit Card statements showing account movements over the last 3 months, fixed deposits/title deeds, as proof of solvency.
10. Sponsors should demonstrate proof of relationship to the applicant.
11. For Studies lasting more than six months: Valid Kenyan Certificate Of Good Conduct
12. Document accrediting admission or confirmed pre‐registration as a student or researcher, in an officially recognized public or private institution in Spain.
13. Evidence of the study plan or research approved duration, schedule, language requirements and total cost of the course.
14. Your transcript of academic record.
All the documents should be presented in original, plus one photocopy, in English, or with a legalized Spanish translation. An interview at the Embassy may be required.