These are the recruitment requirements for both primary and secondary teachers in Kenya that must be met before one is employed by the Teachers Service Commission of Kenya ( TSC) as of 2019. TSC is responsible for recruiting and employing registered teachers, assigning teachers to various institutions, promoting and transferring teachers, exercising disciplinary control over teachers, and most importantly giving teachers uniform terms and conditions of work. If you are a graduate and looking forward to being employed as a teacher by TSC you must meet the following requirements.
1. You must be a Kenyan citizen
2. You must be 45 years of age and below
3. You must be registered as a teacher as per Section 23 of the Teachers Service Commission Act 2012. Those without registration certificates must attach a printout of the online application /copy of payment receipt of the application for registration.
4. You must have original Professional and Academic Certificates
- CPE/KCPE Certificates
- KCE/KCSE Certificates ( include first attempt certificate if repeated)
- PTE Certificate
- School Leaving Certificates
Candidates without academic and professional certificates must show evidence of having applied for confirmation from KNEC and it is the owners of the concerned teacher to follow up with KNEC within 14 days.
- A minimum mean grade of a C+ at KCSE and a minimum mean grade of C+ in each of the two teaching subjects or a minimum of 2 principles and 1 subsidiary pass at ‘A’ Level.
- Bachelor of education degree with 2 teaching subjects
- Bachelor of Science with education or Arts Degree with education with two teaching subjects.
Bachelor of education holders with a mean grade of C Plain and C plain in the two teaching subjects at KCSE and have undertaken a diploma in education or gone through the A-Level system in the relevant areas are eligible.
Bridging / Pre-University certificates for those who completed the course before December 31st, 2015 can be considered.
- Diploma in Education from a recognized Teacher Training Institution
- A minimum grade of C+ at KCSE and with at least C+ OR credit pass in the two teaching subjects or a minimum of 1 principle and 2 subsidiaries at A-level.
Diploma teachers who graduated in 2008 or before with mean grade C plain and subject grades of C plain qualify for consideration.
- Applicants must have a minimum mean grade of C+ at KCSE or a minimum of 1 principle and 2 subsidiaries at A-level.
- Bachelor of Education Technology degree ( Bed Tech) OR
- Bachelor of Science in any relevant technical subject/course
- Higher Diploma in a technical course
- A Diploma in a technical course
You should have a Diploma from Kenya Technical Teachers College or Post Graduate Diploma in education ( PDGE) from a recognized university.
For TVET Institutions, the applicant must have a minimum of a higher diploma or degree in Technical education.
- Applicants with a mean grade of C- and have applied for technical subjects in TVET institutions but have progressed through certificate, diploma, higher diploma, or degree qualify for employment in TVET institutions.
- Persons With Disability – Hearing impaired and blind, are admitted for training with a mean grade C plain and C plain in two teaching subjects thus eligible for employment.
- For applicants trained in Special Needs Education; KSL and Braille are considered as teaching subjects i.e Biology/ KSL, Geography / Braille hence eligible for employment.
- Candidates whose training is in subjects that are not in the Kenyan Curriculum don’t qualify for employment irrespective of undertaking a Post Graduate Diploma in education and enhancement.
- Applicants with Economics/Accounting, Social Education, and Ethics can apply for business studies and CRE/IRE vacancies respectively.
- Diploma teachers with English /other subjects qualify for employment as Teacher/Literature teachers.
- All applicants must have studied the two teaching subjects at KCSE except for agriculture, business studies, Home Science, and computer. For those who did not study business studies and computer, one should attain a minimum of a C+ in mathematics in KCSE. For those who did not study agriculture and home science, one should have attained a minimum of C+ in biology at KCSE.
- Graduate teachers should have studied a minimum of 8-course units in each teaching subjects.
- Candidates presenting enhancements certificates/ transcripts from recognized institutions qualify for employment.
- Applicants previously employed under contract and whose were terminated due to inadequate units in teaching subjects and have since obtained enhancement certificates are eligible to apply.
- Applicants working in other government departments who meet the requirements are eligible to apply.
b) Teachers who are above 45 years can apply to be recruited on contractual terms.
- Such teachers will be recruited on a 3-year renewable contract subject to performance
- Such teachers engaged in the contract will not serve beyond the age of 65 years
Applicants applying for posts in Primary schools must be holders of a P1 certificate. Interested candidates should apply to the TSC County Director, in the County where a vacancy has been advertised and submit all relevant academic and professional documents. Successful candidates are deployed to serve in any part of
Applicants applying for posts in Secondary Schools must be holders of a minimum of Diploma in Education Certificate. Interested candidates should apply to the Secretary, Board of Management of the school where a vacancy has been advertised and submit a copy of the application to the TSC County Director.
Please note that The Teachers Service Commission only deals with TSC County Directors and Boards of
Management in this exercise. Direct application to the Commission will NOT be considered.
For detailed information on available vacancies in sub-counties and schools/institutions applicants
are advised to:
a) Visit the TSC Website
b) Visit the TSC office at the County or Sub-county of their choice.