This article focuses on Unison Sacco membership eligibility and requirements. Unison Sacco is a leading Sacco that empowers and stands with its members to grow their wealth.
It was established in 1977 under the name Laikipia Teachers Sacco. It was later rebranded to Unison Sacco in 2014. It has grown from a paltry less than 100 members to more than 30,000 members with an asset base of 6.79 billion.
The Sacco is regulated as a deposit-taking Sacco by the Sacco Societies Regulatory Authority as provided by the Sacco Societies Act 2008.
Unison Sacco Membership Eligibility
The Sacco draws members from;
- Teachers Service Commission.
- Civil servants.
- Private schools/ institutions.
- Micro-credit groups.
- Individual business entrepreneurs capable of making regular contributions.
Unison Sacco Membership Requirements
One may be admitted to membership if he/she meets the following requirements;
- Is within the field of membership provided for in the by-laws.
- Is not less than 18 years of age, if a natural person.
- Is not a member of another salary-based sacco in the country.
- Is not directly, a money lender or carrying out such activities detrimental to the objectives of the sacco.
- Is of good character.
- Is introduced by an existing member.
- Has regular income from employment, business or trade.
- Has paid entrance fee and minimum shares. Entrance fee is Kshs 1,000.
- Has completed member’s personal information card and appoints a nominee.
- Has completed the membership application form and attached relevant copies of National ID/Passport and KRA PIN certificate.
- Has understood the objectives of the society, his obligation as a member or other membership requirements as stated in the society by-laws.
Rights of Members
- Upon request, receive a statement of account containing the individual record of his/her credit and debit transactions at a fee.
- Attending and participating in elections within the electoral zone.
- Electing or be elected as an officer of the society unless otherwise prohibited by any other law or the by-laws.
- Submitting projects or initiatives to the board of directors, for the improvement of services.
- Appointing a nominee.
- Participating in the sharing of the society’s surpluses.
Unison Sacco Contacts
Head Office: Unison Sacco Plaza, Nanyuki Town.
Contacts: 0725 453 124/ 0786 453 124.