This article focuses on where to get PEP drugs in Nairobi. Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) is a preventive medical treatment administered after being exposed to HIV. It is administered to prevent infection from occurring. The drug is taken every day for 28 days.
PEP should only be administered in cases considered emergencies. It should be started as early as possible, 72 hours after possible exposure to HIV. It stops the virus from replicating after being exposed to it.
Here in Kenya, PEP is not administered over the counter. You can get PEP drugs in most public hospitals free of charge and in private hospitals at a cost. However, some private hospitals offer the drugs for free.
Here is a list of some of the places to get PEP drugs in Nairobi.
1. Nairobi Women’s Hospital
It is one of the best private hospitals in Kenya. Despite being a leading private hospital, it provides PEP drugs free of charge. The hospital has several branches and clinics located in different parts of the country.
2. LVCT Health
LVCT Health provides free regular life-prolonging anti-viral therapy, including drugs and laboratory services. They have a clinic in Hurlingham and drop-in centres in Nairobi CBD, Kawangware and Githurai.
3. AHF Kenya
AHF Kenya provides HIV care and treatment programmes, preventive programmes including preventive medical treatment. They offer the programmes in partnership with partners, the Ministry of Health and local government.
4. Coptic Hospital
The hospital has a wing known as Coptic Hope Centre, which is a centre for infectious diseases. The centre offers subsidised HIV clinical care, treatment and prevention. The hospital is located along Ngong Road.
5. Kenyatta National Hospital
KNH is the largest referral hospital in the country. It provides antiretroviral treatment and other preventive medical services to all Kenyans regardless of their backgrounds.
6. Mbagathi Hospital
Mbagathi is one of the best public hospitals in Nairobi. It serves over one million Kenyans, offering quality and affordable healthcare services, including HIV care and antiretroviral therapy.
7. Aga Khan University Hospital
It is one of the best private hospitals in Kenya. It has a section of infectious diseases that strives to ensure excellent patient care. The section offers a free antiretroviral therapy clinic that provides all the necessary services and patient care.
8. Kasarani Maternity And Nursing Home
Contact: 0722 782216
9. Malibu Pharmacy
It is one of the best pharmacies in Nairobi. You can get PEP at their branches in Nairobi. Here is a list of their branches;
- Arwings Kodhek Road – JF Center, Contact: 0707 747 474
- Arwings Kodhek Road – Roughton Court, Contact:0702 747 474
- Harambee /Moi Avenue branch – Agriculture House, Contact:0701 747 474
- Kaunda Street – Vedic House, Contact: 0704 747 474
- Taifa Road -Reinsurance Plaza, Contact: 0706 747 474
- Ringroad Parklands -Kenrail Plaza, Contact: 0705 747 474
- Pangani Clinic: 1st Floor Shobwe Plaza, off Murang’a road
- Premier Clinic CBD: at 4th Floor JKUAT Towers, along Kenyatta Avenue
- Kangemi clinic: Kangemi Shopping Center, near Sidian Bank and off Waiyaki Way.
- Eastleigh Nursing Home: along 1st Avenue, next to St Teresa Catholic Church.
- Kenyatta Market clinic: Located on the 3rd Floor, Room 3.7, Golf Course Commercial Building.
- Thika Clinic: Matco building 4th floor, along Uhuru Street