During my second attendance of the Easter Poetry Gala at Goethe Institute Nairobi sometimes back in April this year, I together with some serious Poets ( NOT cheap, loquacious spoken word artists who prop to the stage after smoking bang with Uncensored lines) were privileged to be hosted for a dinner by Samuel Gichini at Serena Hotel and then the surrounding inspired this question from one of us “WHERE DID THE ADMIRABLE PANTY LINES ON OUR WOMEN DISAPPEARED TO? OR, WHY DID OUR WOMEN DECIDE TO ‘ERASE’ THEIR PANTY LINES? ”. This generated a two-hour heated debate about what got into our women’s mind to do away with what they once enjoyed much especially up to around the year 2012. In fact some of our women who lacked huge booty used to wear their pants inside out to give a perfect baseline. This was a way of giving men a gift of sexual imagination or forged intimate feelings ex gratia.
Mary Oweke, a business lady who has been selling panties in Kisumu’s Oil Market for the past 10 years also confirms this, that recently, panties have not been selling the way it used to sell some three or so years back. According to her, there was a time when ladies were obsessed with bikers and later thongs, but currently, she is not away from the trending female’s inner wear in town. She also suspects that our women gave up in wearing panties or anything of the same, just as they did away with ‘khamisi’. Panties have become useful only when our women are experiencing their monthly periods where they strictly use them as equipment of attaching their pads.
The pantyless dressing has been a norm for most women in Kenya not only in nightclubs but also in offices and every other place. In fact, a modern Kenyan woman today considers a fellow woman who wears a panty as the primitive, uninformed and off trend. I once visited a National Bank branch in Nairobi and by stealing a look under the service table, I realized that the lady who was attending to me didn’t have a paint but wore a very nice expensive suit. This was an extreme bullying to any male customer whose eyes could have led him to where mine led me or a fantasizing imagination for some men. I wondered why a lady with a skirt decides not to wear a panty and exposes her ‘fundamental’ to the free some public. In Kenya, about 90% of women who wear trousers and 60% of those who wear skirts are literarily naked. They divorced the idea of wearing panty long ago. Pantyless women and the ones who wear ornaments in their waists were at a time considered prostitutes though as time advances, every woman in Kenya seems to be going that way.
These are the TEN reasons why our women DON’T WEAR PANTIES.
1. There is a conspiracy theory that wearing Panties decrease the sexual urge in women. These theorists argue that women who wear panties take quite a long time to start off during the sexual/romancing session than the ones who don’t.
2. Some women find wearing panties quite pressing and just want to feel free. They are kind of trying to acquire that ‘freeness’ in them especially in areas with hot or moderate weather like Mombasa, Kisumu and North Eastern region.
3. The sweat at the private part region related with tight pants create an unpleasant odor when mixed with the natural smell generated at that region and other body parts and this at times is an embarrassment to them. (women)
4. Some women easily generate sexual (vaginal) fluid at the slightest touch by a man (especially when hugged by a man, pecked or any sensitive touch that is sexually arousing). This fluid always gives a very bad smell when dried on a pant. The production of this fluid is also increased by the tight contact of the vagina by the pant.
5. Some women are basically prostitutes who see panties as a factor limiting the effectiveness of their businesses. It is quite tiresome to pull down your panty every time a customer comes your way so they have decided to do without it. A prostitute, by this I don’t mean a commercial sex worker but all the women who are obsessed by the act of having sex , be it with their husbands, boyfriends or sex clients.
6. Some panties are generally a bother to them ( especially the Debian type) as they get into the ass hole every now and then. Sometimes, it gets in while you are in a public place and getting it out is also an embarrassment as people will notice. To get yourself off this shame, women prefer wearing nothing in the name of an innerwear.
7. Some women are bullies and want to torture men by their nakedness. It is surprising that most of these women who wear no pants don’t hide it. They expose it to men when they have that chance of doing it. Their main intention is to psychologically induce a feeling of sexual urge in men and enjoy as they undergo this experience.
8. The cost of pants has discouraged women of low economic status from buying them. For example, the cheapest female panty at Mama Mary’s stall at Oile market in Kisumu is Ksh 120 and this translates to someone’s daily income, hence seeing a panty as a luxury.
9. Vaginal infections have of late been quite rampant in Kenya. Gynecologists recommend that women with any form of vaginal infections don’t wear panties during the treatment or recovery period. So, some women also keep off the inner wears because of health challenges.
10. Some women don’t wear parts because other don’t wear. They think it is a trending fashion and don’t want to be left out. They don’t know its meaning and neither have they bothered to ask what it means.